On the Run

"What do you mean! What do you mean he's dead?"

Leo's hysterical. Apparently him and Adam were friends, they've known each other for years.

"They got to him before me, before us." Mitch says flatly, nodding his head towards me.

I frown and look away. It's not like I could have saved him. I'm not really much of a help anyways.

"What am I supposed to do now?" Leo screams. He hasn't let out a single tear, he's more or less just angry, screaming and hitting things.

Kara gives him an annoyed look, although I can see the pain in her eyes. "Your supposed to forget about it, Leo. We've all lost someone."

Leo glares at her. "Oh, so you've lost your entire family? And your closest friend?"

"Yeah, actually I have!" Kara snarls, "I watched my father rip out my moms brains and practically eat my little brother! Mitch lost his father, the only family member he had! And Cassie..."

She turns to look at me, indicating that I'm supposed to finish the sentence.

"I...I lost both my parents. I woke up and they were gone. Leaving behind a broken window and some blood. That's it." I say.

Leo stares at us, balling up his fists. "Fine." He says. "Lets just get out of here then."

And so we do. Them, hoisting up their backpacks and me hauling my duffle bag.

Mitch takes the lead and we all sort of follow behind him. He keeps us to the rooftops, trying to attract the least amount of attention as possible.

Although it's almost morning, swarms of zombies seem to be prowling the streets, hunting for more fresh meat. It's weird because they were humans once, working, talking, sleeping, breathing humans. And now their just...dead.

I huff my breath and continue on walking.

After about a half hour, Mitch stops suddenly. Leo bumps into him and drops his backpack onto the roof.

"Umm, Mitch? Why'd you stop?" Leo asks, a bitter tone in his voice.

Mitch doesn't respond. He just stares out at the rising sun.

"Mitch?" Kara says, tapping his shoulder, "C'mon, we've gotta keep going."

"Wait." Mitch says gruffly.

He pushes Kara behind him and leans dangerously over the edge of the rooftop.

"What are you...?" Leo trails off.

Mitch pushes himself up and scowls at us.

"They aren't gone yet. The sun's almost up. They should be gone." He says. "I dont know...maybe they're just slow or something?" Leo says, picking up his backpack as he waks to stand beside Mitch.

"No. Somethings wrong." Mitch says. He turns to look at me, but doesn't say anything. I stand awkwardly, Kara at my side. Mitch's eyes are dark. Like nothing and everything mixed together. The cold hatred that lingers in them makes it seem as if he is ripping apart my soul.

"What?" I ask after awhile, my selfconciousness creeping in. Mitch still doesn't speak. he just clenchs his fists a little and brings the corners of his mouth down into a frown.

"What?" I say, spitting the words at him.

He furrows his eyebrows, making himself look different....almost confused, not mad. His left eye twitches and he looks away. But for a moment, a brief moment, I catch a glimpse of something, but I don't know what. His eyes seemed to flicker, removing the layer of stony cold anger and revealing something else.