The Contaminators

About an hour later, I walked out of the library. For twenty five minutes I just stood there, staring at nothing and everything at he same time. For thirty minutes I paced in slow circles, contemplating the meaning of Mitch and his roller coaster emotions. For those last five minutes, I laughed. I just laughed and laughed and laughed, for no damn reason. I couldn't even stop myself either. It was strange but felt so...well, strange.

So now, an hour later, I walk out of the library, my feet in the clouds and my head on the ground.

I don't spot them at first, because, well, they basically blend in. They are eerily silent as well, I thought they were part if some impeccable, unnecessary picture that hung randomly on the white-painted cinder block walls of this abandoned school. They just stared at me, their beast eyes following me wherever I went. I didn't realize it until I was down the hallway, well passed the disguised image.

When it hit me, I screamed.

It wasn't a picture. It wasn't some meaningless, or even meaningful piece of art that sat memorially on the chipping walls. It wasn't pointless. It was dangerous. It was them. The Contaminators. The group that Shaun and Lynn warned me about on that night when we stood in the darkness on the roof of the hotel. They were, and still are, how do you say, anti-humanistic. They're against the fact that we must kill the flesh eaters. They think that the human-eating monsters must have came here for a reason. They roam around this semi-empty world look for the few survivors that scrounged around for their lives and murder them. Or at least try.

So you can imagine my fear when I saw their watchful, waiting eyes and didn't realize till after that they were planning to kill me. Wait, not me. Us.

"Kara!" I scream down the hall, my feet slapping noisily on the tiled floor, "Leo, Mitch! Shaun!"

I run down the hall, well aware if the fact that the Contaminators are currently attempting to break into the school. It'll hopefully take them awhile, because Leo, Shaun, Mitch, Kara and I spent a considerably amount of time trying to barricade every possible entrance.

"Cassie?" Came a voice. I don't know who it is, but I'm probably gonna find ou-

"God! Cassie? What the hell?" Leo asks.

It was his voice, and his body I smashed into. Oops.

"Cassie, what are you doing?" He asks.

I point behind me and whisper, "They're here."

My eyes are wide and I'm breathing like an asthmatic hummingbird.

"Who? Who's here?" He says, his eyebrows crunching together.

But I don't have to say who, because it looks like they've found a way into the school.

"Oh. Shit." Leo breathes, "The...the Coroners? No, no. What does that even mean? Um, the Cillers? God, what did Shaun call the-"

"Contaminators. They're the Contaminators."

"Shit."

We run down the hall, Leo leading me to Kara, Shaun and Mitch.

Oh, Mitch. Confused, confusing Mitch. Why, oh why, didn't he give me a hint? A small lead onto why and when he began to...um, love me?

I shake my head in silence, Leo giving me a strange look as we sprint away from the people who want to cut us up and serve us as dinner to the zombies.

A few minutes later, Leo stops abruptly, grabbing the back if my sweater when I don't cease. I lurch forward but he catches me, possibly ripping the sweater in the process.