Chapter 1: plums

Heads up! This book will be unpublished soon (April 1st) because it is being published to Amazon or wherever you buy your ebooks. You can buy it for just $3.99!

Everything was different now. People had been murdered a week ago, and no one mentioned it because Earth.

We all knew of the planet, but to me it had always seemed like one of the distant stars in the sky. Dashiell and Libba had told stories, and of course Levi had his books, but now we knew. The data stream was slow, but there was celebration every buoy that sent back data. Earth was close. The Canary/Aeneid conflict were distant memories as we all were denizens of Alpha Kepler, first human space colony. People found pride in unity.

I was fearful of the change.

I was afraid that Earth would assume some control, which was moonshy of course. They were light-years away from us, and who knew what kind of state they were in. We knew our world and we were doing fine without them. I didn't have to be on congress to know that Dashiell wanted to return us to the Earth way of running a government, and that Libba and Val trying to bring back Earth fashion and mannerisms. Titus found himself on congress without a single vote cast. I worried, but I stayed in my quiet office in environmental, reading CO2 levels from bacteria and staying out of politics.

When the people in charge decided that Earth couldn't be replicated here, people like my papa and Anatoly would be taken seriously. But until then, I could focus on breathable air without base interference or petty debates.

Someone knocked on my door and I stood up from my desk, sliding open the door to see Levi.

"Lunch?" he suggested, holding a box in one hand. "You left this morning before I could suggest it."

"I have a meeting soon," I told him.

When his smile faded, I sighed, letting him into the office.

"We have a half hour."

Levi kissed me on the cheek and moved to sit on my desk with a grin. He opened the box, handed me a wrapped triangle.

"I made sandwiches," he said. "Apparently I knew you were in a hurry."

I managed a smile and took the sandwich from him. It had been a week since house arrest, and I still hadn't moved back home yet. I had stayed the night last night, but it had been the first. I couldn't explain it, though many people had asked. I didn't want to be around people yet, even Levi. Conversations were exhausting, and I never knew what would bring the tears back. I needed all of my stability to handle my meetings, and I had none to spare, even for my partner.

"Alcott has another check up this afternoon," Levi told me. "She still hasn't started printing anything; I was thinking about getting the group together, pitching in so she doesn't have to worry about it. There are certain staples she's going to need. I just don't want her to worry if she doesn't have to. Oh, and the plums are ripe now. Try this, Dylan. They're amazing."

He held out a dark round fruit and I took it, biting through the smooth skin and nodding my approval. Levi beamed.

"They may be my new favorite," he confided. "Alcott says I call every new food my favorite, so I might be biased. I only bought two; they are so expensive. But worth it."

Levi needed another haircut, I noted. He hadn't cut it since I had the day before Landing Day and his blonde hair was falling into his eyes. I reached over to comb his hair back and he made a face.

"You and Alcott. She's threatening me with the pruning shears at work. I told her I'd start growing out my beard if she did."

"You don't have a beard," I pointed out.