EXTRA: interview with Jae

Tyson: So introduce yourself.

I'm, um, Jae. I'm the author. You know, I'm sure you're super busy and...

Tyson: Sit down. It's not scary. I just did it. Okay, so hard question first; why sci-fi? 

Weirdly, I never wanted to write sci-fi because I knew that I wanted it to be realistic and that takes research. I'm not a big fan of 'space opera'. But I started reading a ton of dystopian romance which follows basically the same plot: Person A and B are forced together. A likes B, but B doesn't. Then over time B falls for A and A has moved on. Then CIRCUMSTANCES happen and they both like each other. It's a weird formula, and I didn't like how the gentlemen in these stories seemed so...rude. And the women so hopeless. Both genders are more than that. 

Tyson: I would like to think so. What kind of research have you done? Or maybe, what's the weirdest research you've done?

My Google searches are all pretty weird. I've researched terraforming, horticulture, fertilizers, light speed communication, hovers (they're real!), quantum technology, gunshots, pregnancies, artists, authors, composers, playwrights, generals, politicians, mining, light refraction, satellites, atmospheres, military jargon, French, Spanish and...

Tyson: I think we get the picture. You have a job? Or do you just do this all the time? 

I work in the theatre. So I have weeks when I have no work and I have weeks when I work 80 hours. It's a strange lifestyle so I have time to write off and on. It's why I always have a buffer. Or at least, I used to. Up until December, I was also in school and graduating has been a frantic process. So I have to build that back up. 

Tyson: How do you keep track of all the people places and times? This story spans... centuries. 

I keep an Excel spreadsheet that updates itself with the years and ages of everyone. It also keeps track of departments and relationships and population ranges. 

Tyson: That's... a little creepy.

Sorry. 

Tyson: I know I shouldn't, but I got to ask: who's your favorite? 

You're going to make me pick regardless so... I think Harper is my favorite. I love all my people -yes, even Dashiell- so my favorite tends to flip flop from day to day. But I love Harper because he's blunt and awkward and feels so much but doesn't always know how to put it into words. And he never does what I think he is going to.

Tyson: I don't know him well, but I could have told you that. So where do you think that you'd end up if you were on the base?

I have no idea. I work in entertainment and that doesn't exist at all. I'd probably fall back to my degree in psychology and work with you, frankly.

Tyson: Even though you don't like me?

Erm. It's not that I don't like you. It's just I don't think we'd be friends. You're nosy. And bossy. I always feel like you're storing things you learn about others to use later.

Tyson: Wow, you don't think much of me, do you? What happened to loving all of us? 

You are an exception. *laughs awkwardly* 

Tyson: On that note, one more question: Levi and Alcott? You know what's going to happen, don't you?

One of the points of this story is that love comes in all forms. Some of it is romantic, some platonic. There are people in our lives we physically need and others that support us emotionally. People do not walk life alone and we don't just find true love and need no one else. We need to be connected. 

Tyson: I think you managed to not answer the question at all. 

*Sigh* I don't know what's in store for Levi and Alcott. They believe they're simply friends and Levi is still in love with Dylan. Could they get confused about things because people think they're too close? Perhaps. I'm not worried about them. 

Tyson: Ah.

You won't tell them what I've said?

Tyson: Probably not? I don't think it would solve anything. 

Your confidence is overwhelming.