Chapter 9: what really happened

Lully was certain there had to be a better person in all of the base than himself for this task. Val had sketched a couple of dresses that Lully doubted were possible, but he had promised Vertov to hear her out and so he was. She wasn't as chipper as Libba was, but was equally strange. She had wanted to work in print design and so Vertov was giving her the cycle to prove herself. Of course, the person affected the most was Lully since he was the gatekeeper for all the printing on the base.

"Back home clothes had elastic or spandex, but I guess we don't have that anymore," Val continued. "But I think if we take better measurements then we should be able to fit the clothes to the person instead of the person to the clothes."

We'll have to write a new program to adjust the measurements per person," Lully said, trying not to sound so doubtful. "Will people really care so much?"

"You do," she pointed out. "Your shirts fit better than nearly anyone else's does. Why is that?"

"Because Esperanza tailors them," he said. "I was practice before she worked on her own clothes."

"And with this program, she wouldn't need to tailor it, she would just need your measurements. It would save on materials."

This was probably how Val had convinced Vertov to listen to her. Lully doubted that the man-hours to build this program and then tinker with the settings would truly save anything.

"So I was talking to Cameron last night," Val said. "I think that Harper might be able to build the code if you can build the machine. What do you think?"

"Harper does have the time," Lully admitted, uncertain if his friend had the skills. "I'll message him after this and see if he is interested."

"Perfect! Thank you!" Val sighed, the smile on her face fading. "Lully, I have a personal favor to ask."

"All right," Lully said warily.

"We woke my son Tyson today," she said. "He's partnered with Alcott, and he was extremely distraught when he woke. He won't speak to us, but I was wondering if you could get him his holo-rib, so at least I can message him and explain ourselves?"

"I can do that," Lully said, though privately wondering why he didn't know Alcott was getting a new partner. This had to be a very recent development.

She smiled again. "Thank you, Lully. I should get started on the sketches; I've kept you from your lunch break long enough."

She rose from the chair in front of his desk and Lully sighed once before grabbing his holo-rib and messaging his madre about the holo-rib. He had a couple missed messages from Esperanza and he replied that he was going to swing by Alcott's berth and she was welcome to join him there.

He sent a report of the meeting to Vertov as he walked out of the printing bay, trying to avoid the others on the floor by looking down and typing. He made it out and down to the main comm station. His madre ducked her head out of the room, holding a holo-rib.

"Alcott's new partner?" she inquired. "This is news. What's his name?"

"Tyson?" Lully hazarded, taking the holo-rib from her. "He's Val's son."

His madre rolled her eyes, swiping through her holo-rib. "Of course. That venting man. I suspect we did the base a grave disservice by voting Dashiell into any sort of power."

"We could vote him out," Lully suggested.

"Your papa says they're building a constitution for the base to go by. I'll mention the possibility," she mused. "There are days I miss being in congress. Most days I do not. Lully, did you know that Harper knows how to program?"