EXTRA: conversation with Dashiell & Libba

Dashiell: I'm not sure why you're interviewing me,  I'm not captain anymore. 

Because you've had a unique experience coming here? Because you know more about the mission with which these ships were sent? I mean, if you want to go, I guess I can just interview Libba.

Libba: He's just sore. It's only been a week and he's used to being in control of a situation. 

Dashiell: It's not about control. I expected to have my daughter with us and of course, now we have to wait for Vertov and Madison to come up with a better solution than mine. Teren is going to be fifteen by the time we wake Mia, and I can't imagine how weird that is going to them. They were close before. And of course, it doesn't help that Tyson can spew whatever he likes around the base and it's not like I can refute any of it. There are limited records.

Oh? Like what?

Dashiell: He told you one story about the food crisis, yes? It's his favorite. Yes, I used the money for food stamps. But it wasn't for the vote, like he tells it. Who do you think builds the farm equipment? Cities and factories. Over seventy percent of the population lives in urban areas. It made far more sense to protect the masses from starvation.

Libba: And the vote. Don't look all offended Dashiell. Politicians do things for plural reasons, you are no exception. 

So do you have plans now? I mean, besides working on the new constitution? 

Dashiell: Well, the chance to be a founding father on a new planet is no small thing. This place has different priorities than eighteenth-century America did, but equality, security, and happiness haven't changed. As we add people, at some point we will have theft, murder -well, more murder- and other crimes. No place is perfect, but I want my children have the best chance possible. That hasn't changed. 

Is that why you left Earth?

Dashiell: Absolutely. If it had just been Libba and myself, we could have stayed, weathered the madness that was heading to the US. But my son and daughter? 

So... you're just a family man?

Dashiell: Why does your tone sound like you don't believe me? What was the point of this interview if you don't actually care what I say? 

Libba: Dashiell...

Dashiell: No! You know what? I may have made some questionable choices as president, fine. But if you thought I was here for an easy escape, don't think you I would have found something that didn't involve ripping my whole family off the planet and leaving everything I have ever known for a planet I wasn't certain would be able to support human life? It would have been easier to rob a damn bank and hide in Cuba than to jump on a spaceship and sleep for a century. 

So why did you come?

Dashiell: Because I don't think I was done, that the human race was done. I could have stayed on Earth and helped a dying planet limp its way to the end of civilization. Or, I could be a part of the birth of the next age of man. 

You have a point. But you've made more 'questionable choices' here on the base and sometimes without all the facts straight. You can't always say that you have had an altruistic foot forward.

Libba: She has a point. We have to rebuild people's trust all over again. To that end, I'm not sure what we're going to do. I'm meeting with Anita and Lisel to add reading to the classwork. I think kids would like some of the stories, and I think that our next generation has to have greater imaginations than we do. And maybe I coerce Harper in making a drawing program though I don't know how that would work on a holo-rib. Teren has come up with all sorts of ideas to make games and toys from home. We've been working on proposals after dinner.

Dashiell: Really?

Libba: You're never home, dear. Oh, and  Val said that Levi and Walsh have been working from an old cookbook. I want to find a scanner and start sharing recipes. I haven't had oatmeal raisin cookies in months! I'm not sure we have raisins here...

Sounds like you have quite the plan laid out. 

Libba: I love this place! I'm not just the First Lady here, I'm a person. People want to have lunch with me without needing favors, and my son doesn't have the Secret Service following him around. There are people who hate Dashiell and get along with me just fine and that's totally normal! 

Dashiell: What? Who?

Libba: That's not the point. I miss brunches with pastries and my cello, but I don't miss pantsuits and meetings with wives of dignitaries for small talk and coffee. 

You played the cello? That's cool!

Libba: It was a little too large to come with us. Not that, at the time, it was a priority. We should have brought Dashiell's harmonica. That would have been a treat.

Dashiell: Absolutely not. 

Libba, this is a bit of a forward question, but do you have any thoughts on running for captain?

Libba: No, I don't think so. What I want is to work more with education and perhaps work towards being a potential department head. I'd have to switch departments again, but I think that I could make a strong case for it. But no, the last thing I want is to pile on base responsibility that takes me away from my children. 

Fair enough. Well Dashiell, any last words?

Dashiell: Not really. I've just been attacked and accused all interview. Why would I give you more fuel? 

Because, Dashiell Turner, I actually like you. But you are not a very likable person and you get defensive very easily. I'm trying to give you space to speak for yourself. So pretend this is part of your campaign. Why should people like you?

Dashiell: I have had years of experience on Earth in diplomacy, politics, and legislation. People here have had relatively simple choices. What do we do to survive? We're ending that chapter of this base's life, and now harder questions must be asked. Survival being more sure, what do we to do grow and expand? What do we want for our children and their children's lives? How do we enjoy the life we have here? These are new problems and many others on the base and on congress do not have experience in a world complicated by these problems. There will be upcoming things that hurt one person for the sake of many. Levi is a good example. There will also be departments that are hurt for the sake of others. There's no good answer oftentimes, but while we have captains who try to make everyone happy, we are stunting our own growth. My willingness to offend is a virtue, not a vice. And my history on Earth is not a weakness, but a strength. 

Libba: Haha, vote Dashiell Turner, Year Twenty-Seven!

Dashiell: ...thank you, Libba.

Thank you for joining us! Tune in next time!