Chapter 29: a brand new dept

Harper got his way. Cameron didn't want him to go to this meeting with Dashiell and the others in this new department, but he wanted something more to do and it wasn't like he was going to get up and dance down the halls with his cast on.

"Babe, you'll be right behind me, and if I look like I'm flagging you can just roll me out," he promised. "So come on. We need to figure out what in the seasons is happening with this venting mess anyway."

"Oh well, if you're going to swear about it," she scoffed. "At least let's find you a clean shirt."

She returned to their bedroom, not that Harper had been able to sleep in the bed. The mattress was too tall, and so he slept on the couch last night. It was still more comfortable than the bed in medical, and he felt rested for the first time in ages.

Cameron reappeared with a blue shirt that she helped him change into. He wanted to push the wheelchair himself but Cameron was insistent that she navigated. He had already won one battle today, no need to fight for another.

"I set my appointments with Madison at the same time as your therapy sessions," Cameron mentioned. "Though I wager she'll say that I'm still not eating enough."

"I won't take you up on that wager," he shot back. "You aren't eating enough."

They bickered about it until they got to the main personnel bay. Dashiell was there with Laurier and Levi. Libba and Matisse were nowhere to be seen. Laurier looked around personnel skeptically as if he didn't believe this project was real or not. Levi, as Harper had imagined, looked resigned. He stared down at his braces and then up at Harper with the ghost of a smile. Harper smiled back.

"Harper, I hadn't expected you," Dashiell remarked. "How are you feeling?"

"Bored, sir," Harper replied. "Cameron promises that I'll be able to work from home if all the tekcom gets sorted out. But I wanted to take a look."

"Libba!" Dashiell called.

She and Matisse hurried from the back of personnel.

"All set," she said. "Where is this new office of ours?"

Harper watched as Levi flinched, but then didn't say anything. Alcott had been right; he didn't want this. Honestly it made more sense to put Matisse or even Harper in charge of this new task, but it seemed like Dashiell was doing it out of malice. He didn't know why though.

"This way," Dashiell said, walking past Levi and Harper out into the hallway.

They didn't go very far, and in fact ended up where Harper was sure the captain's office had been just weeks ago. Even Libba seemed surprised as Dashiell opened the door.

"We didn't have the space," he responded to the unspoken question. "Heaven knows that I don't need this place. I can work from home or have an office in personnel. Anyway, I have like, three holos in here. I was experimenting last night, and I think that the room all the tekcom is right here." He tapped the far wall. "Anyway. We can test it later. Ford was here earlier and said that this all should sync up to your work in personnel. He was much calmer about it than Austen."

He looked around at the group and nodded. "All right. Well, I won't keep you. Cameron, could we go next door and see about getting me an office? Harper will be fine for a couple minutes, surely."

Harper patted Cameron's hand, looking up to see her blink once slowly and then nod. It was her usual behavior when she didn't want to do something, but was going to agree anyway. Harper was becoming well versed in Cameron's subtleties.

"Of course, Dashiell," she said. "Be good, Harper."

"And I'd like a performance report at the end of the day, Levi," Dashiell called as he left. "Thank you."