Chapter Three, Sisters in Love

Chapter Three

Blake Carter listened to the two cougars whispering about him from behind the ski rack. He eyed them as he walked toward the front of the store. The dark-haired one looked vaguely familiar. The redhead flashed him a smile as he walked past. He gave her his best over-the-shoulder glance, holding her gaze. Nice rack, nice ass. He busied himself behind the counter, counting up the receipts, glancing up when they giggled like schoolgirls. He was playing a game, doing what he knew best. But ever since that woman he’d hurt in the coffee shop noticed him taking a last glance at the slinky blonde, he had actually felt bad. He’d seen the hurt in the woman’s eyes as she stood there with blood on her nose, and it was like his heart had softened. Ever since that moment, those hurt eyes lingered in his mind, and now he was having trouble seeing past them.

“They’re hot for you.”

Blake lifted his eyes to Dave Tuft, his best friend, business partner, and the best acroskier he knew. Dave could flip and spin on a pair of skis as well as Blake could land women.

“What else is new?”

Dave shook his head. “So, you goin’ for it?” He lifted his eyebrows.

“No, thanks.” Blake laughed, wishing the woman from the café had accepted his offer to buy her a cup of coffee. He could have made up for the sneak peek at the blonde.

“You can’t handle two?” Dave pulled an inventory clipboard from below the counter and glanced over at the fifty-something-year-old women. “I envy you, but I wouldn’t trade Sally or Rusty for anyone in the world.”

“Just wait. Rusty’s what? Fifteen? Soon he’ll be doing what I’m doing, if he’s not already.”

“Maybe, but we spend so much family time together that I can’t even imagine it.”

“Tell me about it. When are we hitting the slopes again? Between Rusty’s basketball and your weekly date night with Sally, we never get to catch air together. We should take a run, let our Kodak courage run wild.” Blake knew from experience that if he egged him on enough, Dave would eventually relent. Dave’s commitment to Sally and Rusty was enviable, but Blake missed their skiing excursions.

“Kodak courage, huh?” Dave laughed. “I think it takes Kodak courage to do what you do.” He nodded at the women. “I’m too old and too tired to show that kind of courage.”

Dave was five years older than Blake, and at thirty-four, Blake still couldn’t imagine being too tired for sex. He turned away from the women and leaned against the counter. He couldn’t get the woman from the café off his mind. She was bitchy and cold and had made it very clear that she was too good for him when she snubbed his offer to buy her coffee, and yet, when he’d looked into her eyes, he’d been intrigued by some kind of repressed spark. Maybe it was just the old adage: Everyone wants what they can’t have. All he knew was that for the first time in years, he had no stirrings for the women who were so eagerly vying for his attention, and he was pissed at having been blown off earlier.

“As much as I egg you on, dude, I gotta tell ya, life is complicated enough. One woman—the right woman—is more than enough for me. I have to wonder why on earth you’re so afraid of getting married,” Dave said.

“Not afraid. Too smart to get caged.” Blake smiled. “Come on. Whaddaya say? One more ski trip before the season’s over?”

“You know, there are people who can help you work through that mommy drama of yours.” Dave pulled out his cell phone scrolled through his contacts. He scribbled a number on a piece of paper, then shoved it into Blake’s pants' pocket. “I looked her up a few months ago. I didn’t see her, but I heard she’s great.”