Chapter Fourteen, Sisters in Love

Chapter Fourteen

Monday morning rolled in with a flurry of snow and blustery wind. Blake rolled out of bed and walked groggily to the bathroom. He leaned over the sink wearing nothing but a pair of black Calvin Klein boxer briefs. His lean, muscular body moved stiffly. He stretched his arms above his head, gearing himself up for returning to AcroSki; Dave’s absence had settled into his bones and muscles like a dull ache.

He splashed cold water on his face, then patted it dry with a towel, mentally ticking off his agenda for the day: Coffee and egg whites, open the store, more coffee. He wondered if he’d see Danica at the coffee shop. A hint of a thrill ran though his chest. He lifted his lips into a smile. He’d made it through the night without the company of a woman and without falling apart. That had to be a good sign. He’d take things day by day. He wondered if, while he was working out of his womanizing ways, he’d be like a heroin addict, begging to get laid.

He had an appointment with Danica later that morning. Dr. Snow, off limits, he reminded himself. After seeing her, he would call Sally and talk about Rusty. He felt guilty for not telling her about his ditching sooner, but every time he picked up the phone, he remembered Dave’s recollection of the basketball practices. Something wasn’t right, and he didn’t want to open a can of worms he couldn’t handle. He hoped Danica would have solid advice on how to handle that situation.

He turned on the shower and pulled off his boxers, flexing his thighs reflexively. Feeling the tension build, then release. He repeated it again, enjoying the rush of adrenaline as his muscles came to life.

He continued his daily to-do list: Hire someone to do some of the work that Dave handled, and think about finding a hobby. A hobby. What was there besides women and skiing? He’d wondered, right after the accident, if he’d ever ski again; then he’d quickly realized that skiing was not something he’d ever want to give up, and he was sure Dave wouldn’t have wanted him to, either. He’d certainly take more care and fewer risks. He couldn’t ski every day. He had quickly adapted to that change in lifestyle when he’d gone from being a ski instructor to owning a ski shop. He’d given up a lot of freedom, but it had been the right thing to do. Financial freedom was not overrated.

He stepped into the shower and stood beneath the flow of water, letting it roll down his face and back. He closed his eyes, feeling the strain in his muscles ease. Blake turned around and set his palms on the ceramic shower wall. The water beat the tension from between his shoulder blades.

One day at a time. He could do this.

AcroSki came to life at ten o’clock. After Alyssa, the part-time employee, showed up, Blake set a sign on the counter in the hopes of avoiding multiple inquiries about Dave. It read: Dave Tuft, co-owner of AcroSki, passed away this past weekend. He will be deeply missed. Please send condolences to…” followed by the address of the church Sally attended. Blake longed to hear Dave’s taunts and stories about his family-filled weekend, although now Blake wondered how much of them were true.

Blake had looked over the files on Dave’s desk and realized just how much Dave had taken care of. They’d been so in sync with each other that dividing and conquering had become natural. Now he’d have to sort out the dealings of the inventory, accounting, and staff schedules. Anxiety prickled his spine. He needed a few minutes to regroup before he dove into Dave’s desk.

“I’m gonna grab a coffee. Would you like one?” he asked Alyssa.

Tall and lean, with a skier’s muscular build, Alyssa turned her ponytailed head in his direction. “Nah, I’m cool. Go ahead. I’ve got this.”