Chapter Twenty-Six & Twenty-Seven, Sisters in Love

Chapter Twenty-Six

Waiting for Kaylie was like waiting for it to snow in Florida, and Danica had been waiting for her for twenty-seven years. She checked her watch again. Kaylie was fifteen minutes late. What else was new? She flagged down the waitress and ordered iced teas for them both—and not the benign kind. Today she needed alcohol. It wasn’t every day she confessed her deepest sins to her little sister.

The middle-aged couple at the next booth held hands across the table. Danica noticed their wedding bands and wanted that safety, that comfort. Finally, after years of being the proper one and not letting herself do anything that might not be seen as becoming of a therapist, she’d let herself relax into the most sinfully delicious night of passionate sex she’d ever experienced. Beneath Blake’s touch, she became a different person. She allowed herself to try things she’d heard Belinda and Kaylie talk about, using her body in ways that she’d imagined only sleazy people might. But there was nothing sleazy about what she and Blake had—she knew that with every fiber of her being. She couldn’t understand the hows and whys of them ending up together, or the night they had shared, but as she thought about his touch, the feel of his tongue lingering on her skin, the taste of him in her mouth, her legs tingled and her body shuddered with aftershocks that were almost as thrilling as the original orgasms.

Kaylie flounced through the door in her crushed-cotton skirt and T-shirt, carrying an armful of colorful shopping bags. Every eye in the café was drawn to her, like metal to magnet, male and female alike. She dropped the shopping bags next to the booth and sat down, oblivious to the attention.

For once, Danica didn’t pull her sweater around her middle, feeling second fiddle. She didn’t try to fix her hair or cast her eyes down to the table. One night really can change everything.

“Hey, sis.” Kaylie wiggled into the seat across from her, shaking her perfect, little C cups and surveying the people in the next booth. She smiled when the man looked over. Danica wondered if Kaylie noticed—or cared about—his wife’s sneer. “Sorry I’m late.”

Right. Danica wanted to be mad at her for being late, but ever since her evening with Blake, and the good morning kiss he’d planted on her lips, she’d been unable to harbor anything but joy. “No worries. I knew you might be, so I ordered us drinks. Iced teas.”

Kaylie’s eyes lit up; then she peeked into the bright pink Victoria’s Secret bag. “So, what’s the dealio?”

Danica’s usual annoyance at how cute Kaylie sounded when she used slang was gone. Her entire outlook had changed overnight. She was happy for Kaylie’s silly, little mannerisms. Maybe she’d been too judgmental of her sister all along. Maybe her criticisms were there because she, herself, wasn’t happy. Danica mulled over the truth of her thoughts. She had to tell Kaylie about Blake. No, she wanted to tell her. She deserved to know. Ease into it. Danica wasn’t sure if Kaylie would hate her or cheer her on.

“I just thought we could catch up. I guess I just miss seeing you.” Are those bags under her eyes? Kaylie was acting like her peppy self, but her eyes were anything but peppy. Danica wondered what was up.

Kaylie whipped a pink thong from her bag. “Look what I got. Isn’t it cute?” She held it up between her index fingers and thumb, her pinky stuck up like Vanna White presenting a prize.

Kaylie pushed her hair behind her ear. A wayward curl sprang free. Although Kaylie was acting like her effervescent self, Danica saw fatigue in the lines around her eyes.

“Are you all right, Kay? What’s been going on the last few days? You look tired.”

“I’ve been tired.” She shrugged.