Part Thirty-Four

-Gerard's POV-

I woke up in the morning to a delicious, airy scent wafting around, into my nose to greet a sleepy me. The whole apartment smelled just like the bakery my mother had taken Mikey and I to when we were young.

I also noticed that I was alone in my bed- and currently only wearing my boxers. I sat up, curiosity and confusion filling my sleep-frazzled brain.

"Frankie?"

Footsteps, and then Frank waltzed in out of the kitchenette in my huge baggy Morrissey shirt and from the looks of it, nothing else.

"Morning. I'm uh- I'm making pancakes." He looked so innocent and pure, and I smiled.

"Are you- are you wearing pants?" I managed to say.

Frank pulled up on the front of the shirt to reveal a pair of boxers that I was almost sure were also mine.

"I'm not so fit that I could get away with that. Get up" he said simply, and shuffled back to the kitchen.

I leaned over off the mattress and groped for a stray t-shirt, throwing it over my head before rolling out of my bed with a groan and thumping into the kitchen. Frank immediately came into my arms, and I kissed his forehead.

"Are you going to tell me what's been up with you lately?"

I sighed.

"Thought you'd get it out of me with pancakes, did you?"

"Yes."

I chuckled and shook my head against Frank's dark locks. "And to think I believed you made breakfast out of the goodness of your heart."

Frank just snuggled up to me and sighed, heavy and overdramatic. I rolled my eyes and released him.

"I'm gonna eat, and then I gotta run" I announced, and immediately regretted it as I watched him visibly deflate.

"I wanted- I thought we could go to our waterfall today." the kid was making a clear effort not to whine, but the upturn in his vocal octave on 'today' gave him up.

"Well- well we can. We can, babe. I'll only be gone for a little while" I promised, shamelessly procuring a pile of pancakes for myself.

Frank frowned, but nodded and watched me eat.

-----

An hour later, I pulled myself up into an old tree with a million old branches, where Vic was already kicked back about ten feet up.

"Took ya long enough, man."

"Hey, I have Frank to worry about. Has he passed by yet?"

"Nah." Vic shook his head and skillfully hopped down to my level. "But all the patrols pass this point at least once a day. It's gotta be soon."

"Excellent." I let a hint of evil creep into my voice, my insides burning with the desire to watch a man suffer.

It's exhilarating, isn't it? Embrace it. Let it consume you, let me take control. Have I ever steered you wrong?

"Yes" I answered out loud, with gritted teeth.

I hadn't heard anything in my head since the incident with Frank, and I did not want anything to start up. Not now. Not ever.

Vic didn't seem to hear my outburst, and suddenly seized my shoulder.

"Is that him?"

I snapped my head to match the direction of his gaze, and watched a patrol car slowly roll to a stop, and the officer inside glance around. Maynard. I narrowed my eyes.

"Let's do this. Where's Mike?"

"Ready and waiting at this guy's place" Vic replied. I nodded a gesture of confirmation.

"I'm going. You move in after ten."

As Vic disappeared back into the tree, I allowed my mental flood gates to open. Reminded myself why I loathed this man, making up excuses for myself to force a man into doing my dirty work.

For revenge.

For personal justice.

For love.