Part II: Mirror and Anger

The ball lasted well into the night, the butterflies eventually disolved into thin air like smoke taken away by a breeze. The party-goers began to retire for the night, and so Alaura was made to stand near the door so they could all wish her a happy birthday and a congratulations on their way out.

Finally Alaura herself felt tired, her feet beginning to hurt from all the dancing and standing. Though there were still guests, the princess excused herself from the ballroom with permission from her parents. She exited the grand hall, moving quickly through the corridors, the heels of her shoes clicking with every step. Tapestries and torches along the walls were the only thing that kept the cold stone interior somewhat homey and welcoming. Little did she know that she would find that these walls were very friendly compared to others, and that she would dearly miss them.

Up a flight of stairs to a tower, and she was at the door to her chambers, a guard standing watch just out side. He opened the door for her, and she thanked him as she ended. Bearskin rugs covered the floor, and paintings, papers, and art utensils were scattered about along with shelves of books. The room was lit by a cheery fireplace on one wall, shadows from the four poster bed dancing around the room and out the french doors to the balcony beyond.

With a tired sigh, Alaura kicked out of her shoes and sat at her vanity, taking off her jeweled crown and setting it on a pillow. She started pulling the pins out of her hair to let the flame colored locks fall in their gentle waves down her back. She was about to reach for her brush when she noticed the box there. Alaura smiled when she saw it. There was always a gift there. Though this one was a bit bigger.

She untied the black ribbon and removed the dark blue paper, opening the box's lid to reveal what was inside. A hand mirror, it's frame and handle made out of dark metal formed in twisting and curving designs. Alaura lifted it up, admiring the beauty of the gift. Her blue eyes were then drawn to her reflection, but she frowned, tilting her head. Everything in the mirror was colorless and dull. Then her eyes slipped to the relfection of what was behind her over her shoulder.

With a gasp she dropped the mirror and stood abruptly, turning to face the figure she had seen in the mirror. Who had been watching from the shadows of the room.

"What are you doin in my room?" Alaura demanded, her hand instictively going to clutch the locket that hung at her neck. She took a step back, only to find herself against the vanity. The cloaked figure stepped out, cowl covered his face save for a chin with a light layer of black beard.

"I've come to claim what is rightfully mine," the deep voice whispere to her. He tilted his head back, revealing the strong, handsome features and forest greet eyes. Despite being a different color, she knew those eyes, that face. Lost memories flooding back.

"The black druid," she breathed. "It's been ten years, but your face has not changed at all, as if it were yesterday. Only your eyes are different."

"I couldn't let myself grow old before getting my payment, could I?" the black druid replied, taking a step closer.

"Wait! No! You can't! I won't go with you! I'm happy here. It's been ten years, all that happened has been forgotten," Alaura said quickly, but the druid only looked down at her with a cold gaze, his eyes turning a stormy gray.

"What was it that a child had once told me? That she wanted everyone to get better, asked politely for me to help her people, then said that she will come with me," his voice growing darker, as he loomed over her, glaring down from his hood at her. Alaura swallowed hard, looking away.

"I was a child that did not understand. What did you expect from a child?" she said quickly.

"And you are no longer a child!" he said, his voice rising in volume. "You are a woman who has an obligation to fullfil that was set upon her as a child. Or would this pretty face prefer for the darkness to return?"