Part XI: Calm Before the Storm

Over the next few days Alaura slowly regained her strength. The puncture wounds covering her body healed, and warmth returned to her heart and skin. Xi came twice a day with meals for her, rich hearty meals that seemed to rejuvenate her with every bite. Though Alaura noticed that the little kitten followed Xi around, chasing after the light on the demon cat's tail. The sight of it always greatly amused Alaura, sometimes causing her to giggle. The first time this happened she nearly jumped in surprise. When was the last time she laughed? Alaura honestly couldn't remember.

These days were good compared to her time in the dungeon, and she regained the weight she'd lost. Soon enough she dared leave the grand bed and walked on shaky legs to the balcony doors, opening them a crack only for a rush of wind to pull them from her grasp and open them wide, curtains tossing in the gusts.

Unphased, Alaura stepped out beyond the balcony to clutch the rail as the wind tugged at her flame colored hair and dark skirts. Her eyes fell across the view below, and white a sight she saw that took her breath away through parted lips. The room had been at the top of the highest tower and looked towards the west, the land lit from behind her by a morning sun. She saw now the full expanse of the master's home, the great mansion with two more wings and three other courtyards than those she had known before. There were two other towers, each much smaller than the one she stood at. All around were forest and fields, hauntingly eerie and grey, but still very much alive in the wind. She saw a stag with a doe run across a field into a forest, and beyond that her eyes caught the edge of Xavier's domain. A shoreline of cliffs and beach alike. Beyond which was nothing but the open ocean, waves tossing in the coming gale.

"Come away from there if you don't want to blow away!" came the voice of Xi behind her. She turned, and saw the cat sitting on the bed, tray of food next to him. The kitten was working on scrambling up the sheets to reach the crimson feline.

"I may be weak, but a wind won't blow me away," Alaura replied, but did as he said and stepped inside, pulling the doors shut with a bit of a struggling. Even after they were latched she realized the corners of the curtains were stuck between the doors, but she let them be for now.

"That is what you think. You're from a land locked country with little shoreline. It is only natural that you don't know the power of an ocean hurricane. If not for the power of the master, this whole place would be unwater rubble," Xi told her, giving at bat at the kitten as it tried nibbling on one of his whiskers. Alaura sat on the bed, and the kitten went running to her lap, purring and brushing against her hands.

"A hurricane?" Alaura asked, alarmed.

"Yup! Fun to watch from the safety of the halls. Ever seen trees completely bent sideways? And rain blown like water to match? Or a water tornado come up from the ocean to leave a path of rubble? It grows worse ever second until you reach the eye. An eerie calm and blue sky before a wall or rain come back crashing down with howling winds. Anything not nailed down could easily fall prey to the sky," Xi explained. "That is the trouble with living on an island in the middle of the sea, but the master knows what to do to keep us safe."

"What is it that he does?" Alaura asked.

"It's hard to explain, but he uses magic. Maybe if you asked him nicely, he'll let you watch what he does. Though he prepares now, he had not long since finished his hunt of the vampires," Xi explained.

"It took him several days to catch the vampires?" Alaura asked, surprised. The cat nodded.

"Well, it did take years to catch them originally," Xi replied, licking a paw and rubbing his face with it before his violet eyes went back up to Alaura. "So, are you going to eat? Or instead shall you be breakfast?"