Part III: To My Master's Manor

Morning dawned on Everim, but it was a dark day. Storm clouds had blown in over the night, covering up the sun and letting a misty drizzle fill the air. When Alaura woke to this, she felt the weather fit the occasion for surely it was a dark day in another way.
Rising from he bed she dressed in a dark blue dress with silver embroidery and belt, and brushed her hair. The whole time she didn't look at the mess of her canvases on the floor, ignoring them like they weren't even there.
Alaura exited the room, passing a servant sent with food to bring to her breakfast, but she didn't stop. She wasn't hungry.
Instead she headed straight to the throne room where her father would be speaking with the council members as he did every morning.
The guards opened the door for her, allowing her to hear the voices inside the room, all deep and urgent, all which grew silent the moment she stepped inside.
"Father..." She said in a soft voice as all eyes looked expectantly at her. It was the same moment from ten years ago all over again. "Last night after the ball..." She began.
"I know," came his grim reply, standing. Alaura came closer, hands nervously playing with a fold in her skirt.
"The black druid came, and I... My paintings... Today he'll come again," Alaura choked on her words, before running into her father's arms.
"Your mother told me, but you must be strong," he told her, stroking her long hair. He kissed the top her her head before holding her away from him. "Your mother and I love you very much, and are proud of you. we were proud when you made the choice to go, and are proud of you now, of the woman you have become."
"Must I do this?" Alaura asked, but the king did not respond, only giving a hesitant nod.
Just then a guard entered, his face flushed. "Your majesty! at the gate, the black druid is here!" the man said.
"No!" Alaura breathed. "He said he would give me a day! It is barely past dawn."
"Not true, I said I would come on the morrow, I did not specify what time," came the strong, grim voice of the druid who had not been far behind the guard. As before he wore black flowing robes that hid his tall figure, a hood over his head shadowing his eyes, some of his long black hair covering his face.
"Why are you here, druid?" asked one of the council members in the room, gaining the dark man's attention.
"Surely the people of Everim have not forgotten the plight of ten years ago, or the payment do me for removing that plight. I am here to collect my reward as promised. I have waited patiently for ten years for her power to manifest itself, and that was the deal. I remove the plague, and when the princess's power becomes known, she is to come with me," the druid said calmly with a steely gaze.
"And please tell what you plan to do with my daughter," the king said. The cloaked man regarded the king with a smirk.
"I cannot tell you, for I have yet to fully decide. but fret not, your majesty. The girl, or perhaps I should say woman, will not come to harm. To hurt or otherwise allow harm to come to such a jewel would be hypocrisy," came the relaxed reply. The man's steely gaze turned to Alaura then. "Now it is time to go."
"I haven't packed my things," Alaura said softly, wringing a fold of her skirt in her hands.
"There is no need for that. Everything you need is already waiting for you at my keep. Now come," his voice turned to one of strength and authority as he held out a hand to her. She was afraid, but something in his voice and gestured made it impossible to disobey, as if they held some kind of spell in them. Her feet started moving towards him, her eyes locked on his now stone gray eyes.
As the gap between them closed, Her hand reach out to his. As soon as they touched a chill ran down her spine and everything became a rush around her. She was vaguely aware of the entrance of her mother, who called out her name. But she found herself unable to reply as the druid pulled her into his arms, encasing her in his cloak.
Alaura barely remembered what happened after he wrapped his cloak around her. She was aware of them moving, him leading her from the throne room and suddenly each mounting on their own horse, his great black stallion, her on a smaller but still very elegant black mare. Then a rush of scenery around them, and somehow across waters to be riding through a dark moss-covered forest far away from home.
The rushing slowed and now she saw things in normality and clarity. Her horse followed the druid's horse calmly through the woods, strange bird and animal noises all around them.
"How..." she began, but stopped as they broke through the trees.