Part XVI: Strength of Kiss

Alaura dashed down the steps, and through the halls. She found herself standing at the doorway to the courtyard, looking out across the scene scape. The moon shone down, white washing everything it touched.
Standing in the midst of the courtyard was a single dark figure who seemed untouched by the moon. Black sticking out against the silver night courtyard. Tranced by the sight of the figure, Alaura started forward, her footsteps crunching the gravel walkway underfoot. The sound pulled the attention of the figure, whose silver optics turned and watched her approach.
"You're awake," Alaura breathed, knowing who it was that stood before her. She came to a stop a few feet away, and looked up at that shadowed face. As handsome as the strong features were, she still saw the dark bags bellow his eyes. "I thought surely you'd sleep forever, master."
The black druid blinked, as if pulling out of a daze.
"The entrance hall, the courtyard. Are they your doing?" he asked her, looking around once more.
"Yes'sir. Though I've had to paint the courtyard twice, as rain washed away the product of my first time," Alaura said, watching him warily. Something seemed off about him.
"Illusion magic, then. That appears to be the nature of your painting. Your singing on the other hand seems to have a much grander scale of ability. Have you practiced this?" He inquired, his tone low and voice soft.
"No, I find no joy in singing. I do not have a pleasant voice for singing," she told him, clasping her hands together in front of her. "But there is one thing I have wondered."
"Yes?" he arched a thick eyebrow.
"I was hoping perhaps I could write a letter home, since it's been a few weeks. Also, I get feeling so cooked up. I don't mean to leave the island, but would it be possible that I could stroll away from the mansion. Or, if it's not asking too much, use the horse to ride on the island. I much enjoyed riding before.... well, coming here," Alaura said, biting her lip and looking at the ground as if her requests had already been denied. The druid didn't answer. Instead he stepped closer to her, and took her small chin in his large hand, tilting her head up to look at him. Their eyes locked, and a shiver ran down Alaura's spine as his eyes matched the color of the moon. Pale and beautiful.
"I have a condition for each of these requests, if you are willing. Firstly, you are allowed beyond the walls of the mansion, but not beyond the shores of the land. To ride, you must create your own horse. If you wish to ride on the beach, I suggest finding a way to make it water resistant. Also, should you wish to ride or stroll beyond the mansion, either Yvette or I need accompany you. The island is not as safe as it seems. Can you agree to this?" The black druid asked. Alaura nodded, his hand still on her chin. Surely he felt through his fingers how her heart leapt in excitement at the freedom.
"And writing to my parents?"
"I am weak still. My strength has yet to return in full. I have need of it now. Lend me a bit of strength, and you shall have your letter sent," his voice was barely a whisper.
"Of course, I would give you strength, but I know not how. Do I sing to give it to you? How to I lend it to you?" She asked, causing a slight pull at one of the corners of Xavier's lips. He inches his face closer to hers.
"Just relax," he told her, and with his hand still holding her chin, he leaned the rest of the way forward, touching his lips to hers. The contact caused Alaura's heart to race, and made her realize how dry and chapped her lips were against his soft lips. She stood rigid, butterflies making her stomach want to throw up, and yet she found herself pressing more against him.
The butterflies in her stomach settled into a familiar warmth that flowered and grew. It traveled up her chest and neck to her lips, causing the contact to feel like it was burning, like welding their lips together. As the warmth was pulled out, Alaura felt her body growing weak and shaky. Her mind became a fog of tiredness, her legs becoming jelly and collapsing from under her.
Their lips broke contact, and the druid caught her with a strong hand, pulling her against him so she would not fall to the gravel pathway underfoot.
With drooping eye lids, Alaura looked up at the face of the druid. The bags under his eyes were gone, and color returned to his eyes as a vivid blue.
"My first kiss..." Alaura murmured, laying her head against her chest, loosing the energy to keep it up.
"It was? Forgive me for taking that from you. I was in desperate need of energy," the druid said, picking her up under her knees so that he fully cradled her in his arms. "I feel much stronger now, that perhaps I could continue my work, and start my investigation."
"Investigation?" Alaura asked, as he began carrying her over the courtyard towards the door she had entered from.
"Yes. That storm had not been natural. Sent by a weather witch most likely. Someone wants me dead. But don't worry your pretty little head over it. I'm aware of someone intent on my life now, so I won't succumb so easily," he explained, entering the mansion and walking down the hall to the stairs that led to Alaura's room. "Sleep, Alaura. The hour is late, and I took much energy from you."
"Hmm. I like it when you say my name," she said with a yawn, eyes drooping closed. She was asleep before he reached the top of the stairs.

~~~

It was midday when Alaura awoke, her room pleasantly warm from the fire in the hearth. Food was waiting for her on her bed stand. Spotting it, she realized her stomach was so hungry it felt like it was trying to eat itself. So she ate heartily before dressing and going to the window.
In the noon sun on the clear day, the garden was a plethora of bright green and cheery colors. A contrast to the moon washed scene from last night.
Thinking of last night, Alaura's face heated up, her fingers going to her lips. He had kissed her. The blush did not remove itself from her face as she turned away from the window and tried to shake the thought from last night. He had simply been wanting to regain energy, it was nothing more than a favor for a favor. It was nothing romantic, right?
Alaura swallowed hard, a lump in her throat. Again Alaura shook her head, and went to the desk with the book she had gotten from the library the day before. Pulling out a piece of paper, ink well, and quill, which were all supplied in the desk, she began to write. She wrote about the events that had happened, before stopping. They would not be happy to hear she was thrown in a dungeon and attacked by vampires.
So Alaura wrinkled up the piece of paper and started again. This time assuring that she was doing alright, and tell her discoveries of her magic. She told of Yvette, Xi, and the kitten she had lost to the rain. She said she was being treated fair, eating well. Basically saying what she knew they'd want to hear, that she was doing fine.
After finishing the letter, she folded it up and glanced down at it. With a sigh, she rose from the desk, and left the room with the letter. It was then that she heard yelling and banging from the front entry.