Part XIV: Shaman Art

Yvette raised a slender eyebrow at the girl's surprise, an amused twinkle in her eyes. "Well, well, well, it seems for being one born in magic, the little princess knows little about it," her smooth voice said as her smile widened, further deepening the wrinkles about the corners of her mouth and eyes.

"There were few magic users in Everim Castle, and they were either too busy with assignments, or kept to themselves. Teaching me the intricacies of magic were the least of their priorities," Alaura explained, almost offended by the woman's words. Yvette's smile turned to a frown, revealing a different set of wrinkles.

"Even though you were destined to magic by a Fea. Well, I guess it's only logical. It's not often someone is born with the manifested power of a king of old. There would be no one alive to help teach you of your magic. That is why the Master brought you here. So you can experiment in peace and seclusion," Yvette said with a nod of assurance. Alaura couldn't help but let out a small snicker at the irony, causing a confused look from the older woman. "What is so amusing?"

"Well, it's just that ever since coming here, it has been anything but peaceful. From my illness taking hold, to being locked in the dungeon, and a near death experience, and finally that storm. Today was the first in a long time that I've been able to paint again," Alaura explained, causing even more confusion on Yvette's face.

"It looks like I have missed much on my time away. Xi!" she called, and appearing sitting on the table at her elbow appeared the crimson feline, licking a paw. Alaura jumped at his appearance, but quickly regain her composure.

"I figured you'd be nearby," Yvette said as she stood up. "I want you to make sure the little miss finishes her food and gets to bed. I shall go check on the master."

With that the woman left, and Xi's violet eyes turned to Alaura expectantly, causing the girl to look down at her bowl and continue eating. After awhile of silence, Alaura voiced her question.

"She never explained about the marks on her face. What are they from?"

"Ah, mistress Yvette is a shaman. A somewhat common form of magic, though she has pushed her limits passed any other before, causing the markings to remain. Shamans are masters of blood runes and that form of magic. The conduit of their magic are the markings in ink or scarring upon the skin of others and themselves. The price is the scarring and markings which remain as long as the spell lasts. I've heard that they constantly hurt like running briars on that section of skin, and the pain doesn't leave till the mark fades," Xi explained.

"And how long do they last?" Alaura asked, finishing her stew.

"Depends on the nature of the spell and the ability of the shaman. Yvette's markings will never leave her till she dies," Xi replied.

"So she's in constant pain and always will be? That's terrible," Alaura gasped, causing a shrug from Xi.

"It's the price she must pay for her power. We all must pay a price," Xi said. "You will eventually understand what your price is, the more you use your magic. Now, come on, you heard the lady. Off to bed."

The demon cat stood and leapt from the table with ease, pausing to make sure Alaura was following before trotting away, back towards Alaura's designated room. Arriving, and seeing her bed, the princess realized how tired she was. With a sigh, she waited till Xi left before she changed out of her dress and slid under the covers. Her head just hit the pillow when she was falling fast asleep.

~~~~~

The next day came, overcast and gloomy. Xi brought her breakfast and upon Alaura's inquiry reported that the black druid had yet to wake from his slumber. How long he would be asleep was unknown, for not only did he had to recuperate his power, but recover from the strike he had taken atop the tower.