Part IX: Escape The Darkness

Alaura didn't know how long she spent in the dungeon. Sleeping on a pile of hay, eating a meager meal of bread and water. The kitten never ate or drank, and Alaura wondered if it was because of the nature of its creation. Always that pale orb of light lit her cell so she did not have to remain in the darkness. There was a constant supply of parchment and charcoal, while the filled pages were taken away. All but one, anyway.

The paper that held his face she kept, and kept hidden. She had attempted to draw images of her family, but none of them held the same effect as the drawing of his portrait. The expressions changed, the eyes blinking, the lips moving. Hair tossing in his face slightly as he moved. It didn't take her long till she realized that as she watched the paper, she was watching his expressions as they were happening. At least, that was the only explenation she had for how it moved. His lips moving silently in chants, his brow furrowing in thought. Yet for all its movement, still the left side of his face remained in shadows that she could not penetrate.

To pass the time she would play with the kitten when it seemed playful, eat, draw until she ran out of paper, or stare at his picture. Something stirred in her chest when she stared at it. Hatred, disgust, and repulse. Yet at the same time a yearning to draw closer.

Alaura found herself touching the cheek of the image, then drew back, slamming the paper face down beside her. She suddenly felt repulsed by herself for her action. Why had she been staring at this drawing so much? He was a horrible person that tortured innocent people for his wretched expiratments!

"There has to be something I can do!" she said, standing and going to the door. "He has not given me a chance to get out, it has only been Xi coming and bringing me food. So he must plan to leave me in here. But there must be something I can do."

Alaura looked back at the paper. She had already tried so many ways to draw a way out. A key, but the lock was on the outside. She had even attempted to draw a keyhole, but the charcoal wasn't enough. Frustrated, she sat down on the floor, her back leaning against the door.

It was so quiet in the dungeons. This always caused her to go stir crazy, pacing on occasion, or knocking on the door just to break the silence. The only upside to this was that no one saw or was aware when she fainted. With less sustaining food, nose bleeds had become more common, almost daily, and several times she had passed out from being light headed. But being constantly alone, no prying eyes saw her weakness. If only it weren't so quiet.

Idly, she started humming to herself, looking up at the ceiling, washed in pale light. Suddenly her humming broke into song from her lips, words that warmed her belly, though she knew not where they came from.

Caged like a little bird

Where not a song be heard

The stone walls are holding me tight

With a door I can't open with all my might

If anyone's there, please listen to me

I'm so scared, can't you see

Oaken door, won't you open please

Open your great door just for me

I wish to again see light of day

So in this room I cannot stay

Lock please turn like you have a key

I shouldn't be caged, don't you agree?

So swing open door, swing open for me

So that from here I might be free

As the last word echoed in the chamber, the sound seemed to resolate on the stone walls, causing a humming in the air. There was a loud click, and with a loud creak, that which held up her back swung away from her. Alaura tumbled back to look up at the top of the door frame to her cell. Surprised, Alaura stood up, staring at the door.