Wifey - Chapter 1

Wifey - Chapter 1

It was Saturday night in mid-January and majority of the young adults were out running the streets, but Johari Livingston and Jonathan Adams were inside enjoying a quiet night together. Sitting on top of large pillows next to the coffee table, they sat close and searched for missing pieces of a city landscape.

The activity eased Johari's mind and she did it nightly. It wasn't until her friendship with Jonathan developed that she got a partner to help her. She tried to get her best friend Sierra to join in, but she refused. Johari knew why; Sierra Coleman didn't have the patience to sit still for long periods of time due to her pregnancy.

Johari counted her blessings daily. She moved to Austin over a year ago and didn't know anyone in the state of Texas. After getting hired to work at Sydney's flower store, she became embedded into a new group of friends and family.

The Adams - Coleman clan welcomed her with open arms and she adored them because of it. Her friendship with Jonathan started slowly, but now he played a major role in her life. He was an incredible person and any girl would be fortunate to have him.

"Jon, how are you still single?"

He looked up and grinned. "Where did that come from?"

Johari shrugged. "I was thinking out loud. Women are interested in you, but you turn them down. Why?"

Johari thought Jonathan was the perfect mixture of singers Jason Derulo and Bryson Tiller. Whenever she saw the entertainers on television she thought of him. Jonathan was a slender man, but he was built. He kept his hair cut short but usually had it hidden underneath a cap. He was wearing his favorite Yankee fitted cap. Johari took it off and placed it on her head.

"You're starting to sound like my sister. Don't start trying to set me up, too." Johnathan adjusted the hat on Johari.

"It was a question. With the baby coming Sierra's going to be busy. I hope a lot nicer too, because she's a Grinch. The Grinch that steals every day."

"You're not telling me anything I don't know. The other day I got her lunch and she threw it at me. She was upset they put mustard on her sandwich. I'm avoiding her ass until she pops my nephew out," he said with a chuckle.

"How is your other nephew doing? Sydney hasn't come into the store in a few days." Johari really liked spending time with the chunky little man.

"Teddy is good. I babysat him last week while Zeke and Syd went out on a date." Jonathan decided to relax more and laid back against the pillows. Johari's living room was unconventional to some people. She didn't have couches in her living room. Large pillows filled the floor space with a large coffee table.

"It's amazing to see my little sister be a mom."

"It's amazing to see you as an uncle. Teddy is lucky to have you. Sammie will be too." Sammie was the name of Sierra's and Ethan's unborn child.

"Appreciate the faith you have in me."

Johari was about to make another comment, but there was a loud knock at the front door.

"Jo!! Open up!" She heard Sierra yelling from the hallway.

"Be quiet," she whispered to Jonathan.

Sierra continued to bang on the door. "I know you're in there. I saw your car!"

"You have a stalker," Jonathan snickered.

"Jon, I know you're in there too."

Sierra knew them well. Jonathan was off on Wednesday and Saturdays and spent those days with Johari. He worked as an Emergency Medical Technician with the hospital and dealt with serious crises during his shifts. On his days off he tried to forget about work. Johari tried her best to numb the chaos in his head.