Wifey Part 2 - Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Avery watched Nina and wondered if her mind was finally at rest. She certainly looked peaceful in her hospital bed. Nina's husband, Demetrius, was right next to her, cradling her hand in his. Avery was on the outside looking in. When she arrived at the hospital, she was told by staff that Demetrius wanted to be alone with his wife, so everyone was obeying his wishes. From how nurturing and attentive he was being, Avery came up with two conclusions: first, he must be the most forgiving man or second, Nina never got the chance to tell him.

Avery walked away from the room and went to her office where her supervisor was waiting. "What in the world happened to her?" she asked.

Donald shook his head. "Her conditioned worsened and she had a seizure."

Avery sat down and absorbed the information. "How, what, when.... why?"

"No matter what the staff did, her blood pressure would not go down."

"Will she be okay?"

Donald shook his head. "They don't believe she's going to recover."

"I can't believe this happened. Where were the nurses and doctors? She was under our care, and we let her down. We dropped the ball on this."

Donald stood up from his chair. "I'm headed home. Make sure you assist the family with everything they need," he said as he made his way towards the door without looking back.

This motherfucker. "If I don't, who will?" Avery asked.

"Oh, and Avery, I checked her chart. You see her every day, but there's nothing to document what you talk about during your visits. Is there something going on that I should know about?"

Avery's thoughts went towards Nina's letter. Should she tell Donald about the affair? She decided against it. "No, there isn't anything. We talk about her fears of being a new mother."

"Document your conversations," he replied before leaving.

Avery completed her notes from the visits with Nina. She left out everything concerning the affair. It was getting late, so she planned to check on Nina and her family before calling it a night. She wasn't surprised to see Demetrius still in the same spot. He was the epitome of a good man. She knocked softly on the door and walked inside of the room. Demetrius looked up when she approached.

"I came to see if you needed anything?" she stated. "I can get you some dinner or something to drink," she suggested.

Demetrius shook his head. "I'm fine, thank you." He gave his attention to his wife.

"Alright. I'll be here for the rest of the week." Avery went to leave, but she felt like she needed to say something. "She loves you. Every time I saw her, she talked about you."

Demetrius started to cry. He felt like he had let his wife down once again because of work. He should've been by her side. "It's my fault. I should've gotten here sooner."

On impulse, Avery went and consoled him. Demetrius wrapped his arms around Avery's waist and continued to cry. "It's not your fault," she told him.

He eventually calmed down and unwrapped himself from Avery. He realized that he wet her dress. "I apologize. I can handle the dry cleaning for you."

Avery waved it off. "Don't worry about it. Tide detergent will get your slob off it."

Demetrius laughed for the first time that day. "Thank you. Everyone else around me is crying and upset. I needed a good laugh."