Wifey Part 2 - Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Two weeks later

Avery walked inside of Sydney's flower store and looked around for a gift to provide to Ethan and Sierra for their housewarming. Tonight, would be the first time she'd step out of the house for some adult fun.

She was currently on administrative leave from work, so for the past two weeks she spent her time looking through college catalogues with the plan to go back to school to become a therapist or counselor. She understood the hospital's reasoning but at least expected them to stick beside her because she was a dedicated employee.

She missed her coworkers and some clients, but, no matter the outcome, she wasn't planning on going back. She knew that the conditions of Nina's health hadn't changed. Avery held on to her secrets and hoped Nina woke up soon and told the truth.

Walking around the store, she picked up a mixed flower arrangement that was displayed in a beautiful crystal vase. It wasn't much, but it would be rude of her to show up empty handed. On her way to the register, she observed a man looking at roses. He looked deep in thought, so she decided to help him.

"Having a hard time?"

He looked away from the flowers and gave her a small smile. "Is it that obvious? I messed up with my girlfriend, and I need to fix it."

Avery nodded towards the display. "Roses are a good start, but women like diamonds too."

He laughed. "I already went to the jewelry store and got her something."

"A ring?"

"Too soon."

Avery shook her head in mock disappointment. "It's never too soon. Love is love. A ring is the only thing that will keep her around and other men away."

"Really? Maybe I'll take that into consideration," he replied with a smile. "I'm Sean by the way."

She put her hand out to shake his. "Avery. Good luck with your girl."

"Thanks. I'm hoping Johari loves the flowers and gift and gives me another chance."

She paused. Hold the fuck up. Johari? Avery's mind started to work in overtime. Isn't Jonathan's roommate named Johari? She recalled the conversation they had at dinner. Every weekend I do something new with my roommate Johari. Shit. Shit. Shit. Did she just give this man advice to help with Johari? Maybe it wasn't the same woman.

"Sean, is your Johari roommates with a guy named Jonathan?" she asked. She immediately felt hate reaping from Sean. In that moment, Avery knew it was the same Johari.

"Yeah they're friends."

He can't really believe that. "I know Jonathan and his family! Are you heading over to Ethan and Sierra's by chance? Maybe I can follow you. I've never been to that area," she said.

"I am, and yeah you can follow me. This is a small world."

Avery juggled her vase in her hand and followed Sean to the register. "You have no idea."

It was Avery's first time attending a Coleman-Adams event and she was going to make sure it wasn't her last. It was entertaining from the beginning to the end.

She initially walked in with Sean and greeted everyone in the group. It was nice to finally meet Sydney and Johari. The boys welcomed her right away. Ethan was his regular silly self and it as nice to see a new side of Zeke. She felt Jonathan's anguish when he saw Sean. The scowl on his face expanded when he saw Sean and Johari leave the group to talk.