Wifey Part 2 - Prologue

Start of book 4, Wifey Part 2

Prologue

Demetrius Rice walked into his bedroom and gently tapped his pregnant wife on the shoulder.

"Honey, wake up."

Nina Rice rolled from her side to her back and moaned. "I don't want to." She was exhausted and wanted to stay asleep.

Demetrius rubbed her pregnant belly. "Okay, go back to sleep. I'm heading out though. Call me if you need anything."

Nina opened her eyes and focused on her handsome husband. She stroked his face. He cut his chin from shaving. She gently touched the mark. "Where are you going?"

"I'm meeting up with Zeke and Ethan Coleman." Demetrius didn't give his wife all the details of the meeting. He tried his best to keep his work and personal life separate.

Previously, Demetrius was a detective with the Austin Police Department. When he and Nina decided to have a baby, he left his job and started a private investigating agency. He was able to set his own hours and be home more often. He wanted to be present in his child's life. He was determined to be the best father to his own children, despite not having a father of his own.

Before coming into the bedroom, he received a phone call about a woman named Johari Livingston. Johari was a family friend of the Colemans and, according to a colleague of his, Johari's husband was searching for her.

Demetrius didn't know Johari well; he was close to Zeke and Ethan and was meeting with the brothers to give them the news. He wanted to make the family aware of the situation.

"How is Ethan's wife, Sierra? I saw her at my last visit. She didn't look happy." Nina and Sierra shared the same doctor.

Demetrius chuckled. "Yeah, she's tired of being pregnant." Everyone in Austin knew Sierra was ready to have her baby.

"I don't blame her; this little girl is killing me," Nina said. She lost her job as a personal assistant due to being sick too often. She was ready for her life to return to normal.

Demetrius wished he could take away his wife's pain. "It will all be worth it in the end. She's going to be a pretty little thing like her mother." Nina was given the name 'honey comb' growing up because of her golden skin complexion. She claimed every room with her presence and was able to dazzle anyone with her bright smile.

It was something Demetrius missed. His wife didn't smile often anymore. He wished he could make her happy again. He leaned down and pressed a kiss to her belly. "I can't wait to become a father."

Nina's heart was beating a mile a minute because she wasn't sure if her husband was the father of her baby. She closed her eyes and hoped he was.