Wifey Part 2 - Chapter 3

Chapter 3

"Have you called Avery yet?" Ethan asked Jonathan. It had been two days since Jonathan and Avery were introduced.

"Not yet."

"What are you waiting on? She's a dime piece. There aren't too many women like her."

"What the fuck?" Sierra questioned. She was being pushed in the wheelchair out of the hospital. Her newborn was in her arms.

"Baby, you know you're my number one girl. I'm just trying to set Jon up with someone."

"You better be. You already can't get any for six weeks, I'll make you wait longer."

Jonathan groaned again. He really needed to get some new friends. He was tired of hearing about his little sisters having sex. "I'll call Avery today."

"Or, you can just talk to her now," Avery commented. She was standing behind them and witnessed the conversation. They all turned to stare at her. "There was a purse left in the room," she said before handing it to Ethan.

Sierra sized Avery up and down. This chick was bad. "Damn, you are good-looking. I would get with you if I liked women," she admitted. "What are you mixed with?"

It was a common question Avery received. "My mother is black, and my father is Korean."

"That's a good combination."

Avery smiled and took it as a compliment. "Thanks. You must be Sierra. It's a pleasure to meet you."

"You too," Sierra replied still staring. "Jon, you need to handle your business. We'll be in the car waiting," she said before the nurse started pushing her out of the lobby.

Jonathan and Avery were left alone. "I'm sorry about my sister. She's not good at holding her tongue."

Avery didn't mind it. "I'm not complaining. I like her," she said with a laugh.

"What about me?" he questioned.

Avery put her index finger on her chin and thought it over. "Hmmm. Well, Ethan got my number a couple of days ago and you still haven't called me. So, at this moment I'm not so sure about you," she teased.

"Will taking you out to dinner make up for it? We can talk and eat, get to know each other better." He didn't know much about her, but Ethan voiced that she was an amazing woman. She was certainly beautiful, that much was obvious. He knew from past experiences that a pretty woman could cause trouble. His ex-girlfriend taught him that hard lesson.

Avery smiled. She couldn't get a complete feel on Jonathan. A dinner date would give her time to assess him. "Okay, I'm down. How about tonight? I just have to check on a patient and then I'm available."

Jonathan grinned. "Tonight, is fine with me."

After finalizing dinner plans with Jonathan, Avery went to see Nina.

"Where's that husband of yours?" Avery was surprised to see Nina alone.

"I forced him to go home and shower."

"How are you doing?" she asked. Every day she tried to come and see her.

"I'm going crazy, and it's only been a few days. How am I supposed to make it three months here?"

Avery pulled a chair up besides Nina's bed. "I know it's hard but think about the little girl that's growing inside of you. Just take it one day at a time."

Nina knew that Avery was right, but she couldn't stay another day in the hospital. "Do you think that the doctors would let me go home? I would feel more comfortable in my own house."

Avery looked at Nina's chart and read through the nurse's notes. "Your blood pressure is still a little high. So that's a no. What's on your mind? I can feel how anxious and nervous you are."

Nina stopped flicking the channels and put the remote down. She paused and took a deep breath. "I tried telling Demetrius but chickened out. I pretended to be sleep, so we wouldn't have to talk. I'm so scared that he's going to leave me."

Avery wasn't going to lie to Nina. "It's a possibility. I think you should expect the worst. Put yourself in his shoes. What would you do?"

Nina started to cry. She would never stay with a man that cheated on her, and she didn't think that Demetrius would stay with her. Especially if the baby wasn't his. "Telling him is going to be the hardest thing I've ever done."

"If you're struggling with saying the words, just write them down. Give him a letter. The most important thing is that you tell him; it doesn't matter how."

Nina liked that idea, so Avery provided her with a pen and paper. It was a tough experience for Nina, but Avery was there to support her as she wrote down every word. She repeatedly asked for forgiveness and apologized for her mistakes. By the middle of the letter, Nina was crying hysterically. Avery didn't like to see her upset, so she decided to tell Nina to take a break.

"We can finish this later. I have to check on a few more patients and then I'll come back," she assured Nina.

She nodded her head. "Okay."

Avery gave her a hug before leaving. "I'm proud of you." She took the letter and folded it in her pocket. She decided to bring it back with her later for Nina to finish.

Avery's date with Jonathan was a bust. She wasted a good dress for nothing. He was an attractive man, conversation flowed between them, and they had a lot in common. Only problem was Jonathan was in love with his best friend.

While at dinner, Jonathan started talking about Johari and his face lit up. In that moment, Avery knew the date was over. What she thought would be romantic ended up being just friendship and Avery was okay with it. She didn't want to block true love, so she encouraged Jonathan to go after Johari even if she was dating some guy named Sean.

At the end of the date, Jonathan walked Avery to her car, and they embraced with a hug before she climbed in and drove home. When she walked into her living room, she saw that her cell phone was laying on her coffee table. She picked it up and saw that she had seven missed calls from the hospital. Avery immediately called work.

"Hey, this is Avery. What's going on?" she asked

"We've been trying to reach you all night. Nina Rice had to have an emergency C section."

Avery settled on the couch. "Is the baby okay?"

Her boss sighed. "The baby is in ICU, and Nina isn't doing so well. You should come quick."

Avery dropped the phone on the ground. The last time she saw Nina she was fine. What in the world happened?

Avery grabbed her keys and rushed to the hospital.