I ran away from home chpt 5

-Chapter 5-

When I woke up it was dark outside. The only light in the room came from the moon through the windows, and that wasn't much. I stumbled out of bed and searched my way to the bathroom door. I took care of my business and then went down to the kitchen. I was hungry again.

After a lot of rummaging i managed to find a bowl, a spoon, some cereal and milk. That would have to do the job. I sat down at the table and started to scoop in the lot of it at my normal speed of eating.

"You know, you really should take it slow."

I must have jumped at least ten feet in the air, and managed to choke on the cereal on top of that. Coughing and spitting, i turned around to see Cole leaning against the door frame with a big smile on his face.

"Blade can be a little grumpy now and then, but he knows his shit, and i think that you should listen to him."

I smiled apologetically back at him and said. "You know, I'm not purposely not listening to his good advice, this is how I always eat, not only because I'm starving." I suddenly came to think of something and blushed a little. "I hope this is OK, by the way."

"What is?" he asked, curiously.

"It's just, i was hungry, and-" He cut me short.

"It's OK, don't worry about it. As a matter of fact, i too, was going to make myself a snack."

He went about the kitchen and ended up with the biggest sandwich I had ever laid my eyes on.

"You call that a snack?" I asked, shocked.

"Yeah. Why?"

"No, nothing," I said, trying not to laugh. It was silent for a while, during which he eyed me suspiciously, and then I couldn't stand it anymore. "It's just - what do you eat for dinner if that is a snack?"

He blushed and frowned at me without saying anything, and with a shock I realized I had hurt his feelings.

"I'm sorry! I didn't mean-"

"It's OK, you don't have to apologize."

We ate in silence, until I finished and excused myself. Well, that was awkward, I thought to myself. He was being silly, though. That wasn't something to be hurt by, was it? It wasn't like I had called him names or anything like it. It was just a simple remark, nothing to cry over. Then why was I feeling so guilty. Maybe it was that baby softness about his face, and he looked all sad.

Suddenly I bumped in to something, and I stumbled back, looking up at the amused face of Blade. He just looked at me and it freaked me out. Why did he always do that? I excused myself and quickly made my way around him, continuing up towards my room. As I looked over my shoulder he had just begun walking again. Though I probably just imagined it, I thought I heard him chuckle a little under his breath. Seriously - what was wrong with him?

The rest of the night I spent on my bed, fully dressed and unable to sleep. I didn't even feel the slightest tired. This probably wasn't as weird as it felt, considering I had spent several days doing just that, but it still was strange, not being able to sleep at night.

Instead I focused on a small discoloring on the sealing, trying to find all the pains in my body and shove them away. The shoving part didn't work at all, which just left me with even the smallest bruises feeling like broken bones. So I tried remembering and humming on all the old songs I knew by heart, and lullabies my mother used to sing to me when I was little. It worked for a while, but, as said, the pain was hard to push away.