Never Told You

The cold darkness surrounded the house. Broken pieces of furniture and deep scratches decorated the walls and the floor. Some blood splatters were also on the furniture and walls.

Mariano stood in the heap of the mess he once called his peaceful fortress. He stood at the living and gently push the shards of the broken vase with his foot. His hands were calmly inside his pant's pocket as he roamed around the dimmed living room, the only light source was coming from the moon that was shining brightly on his window.

He felt the sadness in his heart as he looks around his house. He really loved his house, he considered it as his solitude. It meant a lot to him because he had so many memories in it. He bought his house when he was just beginning to start his life anew. It was the only house that he liked, out of all the houses he searched.

The place where it was located was in a great and peaceful environment. He had no neighbors near him which were a great thing for a vampire who is trying to fit in a human world. A luscious forest surrounded the house and a long empty road lies in the center of it.

Mariano remembered the first night he stayed in his new house. He remembered walking around the street and whistling his favorite song, he remembered how calm and free he was, knowing that he was free from his slavery and from all the pain and heartaches of the past. Although the feeling of his past hunting him back was in the back of his mind, in those times, he didn't care. He knew he couldn't hide forever, but for the moment, he imagined that he was truly free.

He felt his lips stretched into a smile as he remembered that memory. Mariano found himself standing in front of the staircase, and emptily staring at the top of it.

After a while, he finally decided to switch on the lights in the wall beside him. Bright lights open after another, illuminating the corridor and the stairs.

With heavy steps, Mariano started climbing up the stairs. As he neared the long corridor that shows the six rooms facing each other. Broken pieces of woods from the doors were scattered on the floor and some doors were hanging off its hinges.

He started walking slowly, taking a glance at the rooms. He walked towards the second room on the left and paused on the front of it. It also has some damages on it, bullet holes decorated the once beautiful carving. Mariano touched the doorknob and twisted it open, the door almost fell but he caught it and placed it beside the wall.

The room was just like the rest of the house - it was a mess. Feathers were on the floor, scratches on the mattress and pillows and were ripped wide open. The windows were broken and shards of glass were also on the floor.

His room was the one place out of all the places in his house that he spent most time decorating, but now, all of his hard work faded in the wind. He walked towards his closet and saw that his clothes were also torn and some were missing. Mariano picked a black shirt that he used to wear because it was his favorite, unfortunately, it was also torn and had big holes on it. He clutched it tightly in his fists and started to feel his anger rising.