The Dinner Here Is Never Second Best

A/N:This chapter is dedicated to @Beautiful_Chaos124 ! Thank you for your comments and for keeping up <3

***

*Alexander*

Her eyes changed to a darker color, her pupils dilating slightly as she glanced at me over her glass. I could hear her heartbeat getting quicker by the moment, but her expression remained the same.

If it wasn't for my...special talents... I would have had a hard time telling what she was thinking.

But of course, my sweetheart was smart. I knew that from the beginning. Before I even approached her that first night in the coffee shop. I knew the risks of letting her get to know me.

And while I vowed to never reveal my secrets to anyone, I knew that with time, she would find out. I just didn't expect it to be this soon...

I've barely spent any time with Sophia, and she was already pushing me. Instead of asking, testing my abilities - my instincts.

And I fell right into her trap, reacting just enough to let her know that I was something... more.

"Deep breaths, sweetheart." I told her, leaning back on the comfortable chair. If she held her breath for a little longer, she was going to start turning blue on me. And I couldn't let that happen.

Not when my own heart was beating out of my chest.

"Tonight is just..." She whispered, her soft accent shining through her words. "-full of unexpected twists."

Oh, sweetheart... You have no idea.

***

*Sophia*

His dark eyes bore into mine - nothing but endless black abysses. He figured it out. And now I was just bating my time, before he told me that I was going crazy. That I was just seeing things, and what I was proposing in my head was just madness.

But moments ticked by, and Xander didn't start explaining himself. In fact, he looked more comfortable than ever before, as he stared at me with that intense gaze of his - Lord only knew what he could see.

"What is the lady in the next table having?" I was the first one to break the silence, deciding to push my luck.

Of course, I didn't expect a response. So one could imagine my surprise when Xander asked. "The older one, or the one with the strong fruity perfume?"

My eyes nearly bulged out of my head as I leaned toward him, completely taken aback.

The people he was describing were sitting directly behind him.

Did he have eyes on the bloody back of his head?!

His soft chuckle came as a reply. "No, I cannot see them." He explained. "And I can't read minds either." Alexander added, laughing again as my mouth dropped open, after he read my mind two times in a row. "Your face is just very expressive when you let your guard down."

"You don't hear my thoughts?" I whispered, leaning even closer to him, my chest nearly pressing into the plate in front of me - a fact I didn't realize, until Alexander's eyes wandered to my cleavage, before returning to my face.

"I wish I did." He spoke softly, his voice barely above a caress.

Clearing my throat, I leaned back in my seat. "So?" I asked, regarding him with a raised brow.

"The older one salmon, with mashed potatoes, and the same whine that you're drinking." Xander replied, a moment later. "And the fruity girl..." He raised his head, barely, his nostrils moving slightly as he took a whiff. "A salad. No meat, just fruits and some strange sauce that I don't recognize."