We'll Tie A Stash Around It, Put A Ribbon Through It

A/N: Shoutout to @Lukes_a_penguin for spotting the mistake in the last chapter!

Hope you guys enjoy this, and Happy Almost-December! (Ps. Where has this year gone???!!)

****

It has been three excruciatingly long days since the revelation in Alexander's Halloween room of scary secrets.

Shortly after I promised him that I could keep his secret - a promise that turned out to be much harder to honor than I ever would have imagined - we got interrupted. A drunk couple was looking for some privacy to engage in debauchery.

Xander, of course, kicked them out. Of the party too, not just the little room we shared. But even their absence didn't change the fact that the moment was ruined.

Alexander politely excused himself to deal with the couple - and other misbehaving guests as well - and I was left alone at the party.

It didn't take long for me to locate my friend, as she was in the corner, in the middle of a deep, yet one sided conversation with her date. Ken was lecturing Ellie on the traditions of Halloween, and how dressing up in scary customers has been a thing for... I honestly forgot how long.

But if anyone was ever interested, I was sure Ken would remember the exact date - possibly even down to the minute.

Ellie was only too relieved to be leaving. As much as she enjoyed the party itself, there was only so much information one's brain could take in in one night. So the three of us left, and Ken was kind enough to walk Ellie home from her stop.

As soon as I fell through my door that night, I headed straight for bed - much to Demo's dismay, who seemed more than ready for some play time.

Three days have passed since. Three days spent of me going from the hospital to class, to back home to take care of my wolf-dog, just to return to an overnight shift at the hospital. I was mentally and physically exhausted, but under the tired surface, I loved my job.

"Ms Beaudine!" Dr. Hoffman, our resident professor snapped. It was quite possible that this wasn't the first time he called my name, judging by his reddening face. "Am I interrupting your day dreams with your job?!" He asked, calling me out on the fact that I have been on autopilot, ever since I stepped foot into the hospital that morning. "Or would you prefer to leave now and... perhaps try again next semester?"

I cleared my throat. "I apologize, sir. I was intrigued by your notes on the HIV infected patient." At least, that was what the top of the paper stack he handed us read on top.

Dr. Hoffman seemed to consider my answer, before nodding - slightly less angry than before. "I realize that they are fascinating, but I do ask you to pay attention to me when I speak."

I nodded. "Understood, Dr. Hoffman. It won't happen again."

"As I said, Ms. Beaudine, you will be on the eleventh floor today, in section B." The good doctor said, before moving onto the next victim to torture. "Mr. Parrish, you will-"

"Uhm... excuse me, Dr. Hoffman?" I cut in, moving closer to him. The shorter man turned to me, an eyebrow raised in question. He looked furious again for my interruption. If there was one thing I've learned in working at the hospital so far, was the fact that every doctor's favorite sound was the sound of their own voice. Interrupt them, and you were as good as gone.

So it took me another attempt at clearing my throat, before I worked up the nerve to speak again. "I'm not sure I heard you correctly. I thought you said the eleventh floor in the B building." My voice made the statement sound more like a question - not that Dr. Hell cared.