Chapter 17

'You have some explaining to do, Miss Emily Maisonwood,' Violet says sharply when Ainsley and I arrive at her house. 'My brother has been distraught, and the only thing I could pull out of his stubborn gob was that it had something to do with you. Now tell me, what's going on?'

I laugh, because I like the way Violet's teasingly stern tone makes light of the situation. 'You don't even know, Vi. But I'm hoping you can help me fix it.'

'So you have done something wrong!' Violet says. 'I never thought you would screw it up with Watson.'

'I didn't!' I exclaim. 'It's his fucking girlfriend.'

Ainsley lets out a sigh. She's standing beside me. We're at Violet's front door, picking her up to take her to the gala. Violet's parents have already left, and Watson must be out, or hiding in his room.

'What?' I exclaim, and Ainsley gives me a knowing look. 'Taylor is cheating on Watson,' I say firmly.

'I knew it,' Violet says.

Ainsley seems exasperated. 'I'm going to go check my hair again,' she says, and she walks into the house.

'How did you know Taylor was cheating?'

Violet shrugs. 'Well, I didn't. But I knew something was up with her. She's weird. And I haven't seen him this whipped since he was in love with you.'

'Watson was never in love with me. A little crush in grade eight counts for nothing.'

'So how do you know Taylor is cheating on Watson?' Violet asks.

'I saw it,' I say. 'I was uh... well. It was at a party, and I was under the bed. Duncan and Taylor came into the bedroom and started making out, and they were going to go further but Taylor stopped it. The way they were speaking though, it sounded as if this wasn't the first time they had gotten together since Taylor has been dating Watson.'

Violet shakes her head. 'What an absolute bitch, dangling Watson like that. So what has this got to do with you and Watson fighting?'

'Well I tried to tell Watson his girlfriend is cheating on him,' I say. 'And he wouldn't believe me. He thinks I like him and I'm trying to break up his relationship so I can be with him. Which I'm not, obviously.'

'Because you like Toby.'

'What?' I say. 'How did you know about that?'

Violet shrugs. 'I know about things.'

I scowl at her confidence. 'Well, I had to break it off with Toby. He refuses to break up with his stupid girlfriend, and I wasn't going to let him play two girls at once for that long.'

'I'm glad you figured that out on your own,' Violet says, 'because I was about to whack you if you thought you had a chance with that guy. He is an absolute tool, and his girlfriend is totally naïve and blind.'

'Thanks,' I say miserably.

'So what are we going to do about Taylor?' Violet asks.

'It's easy,' I say. 'We have to prove to Watson that Taylor and Duncan are getting together behind his back. Watson is stubborn and he needs undeniable proof, so we need to film it. That's why I asked you to come tonight, and bring your camera. Duncan and Taylor are both going to be there. We're going to catch Duncan and Taylor in the act.'

Violet's pretty face splits into a grin. 'I am so with you, Em. I cannot wait till Watson finally dumps this stupid girl and you two finally end up together.'

'I am not ending up with your brother.'

'A girl can dream,' Violet says. 'I just want to be your sister in law.'