Chapter 28

'Harry!' I yell, standing up and almost tripping over Ainsley's foot in my haste to follow Harrison as he walks away from our couch and across the party. He's headed towards some fellow Cernette boys, Gabriel and Chester, but I run after him and grab his arm.

'Harry,' I say, and he spins around and looks at me. I can tell how drunk he is, and I know the alcohol must be playing up his emotions, because Harrison is usually so cheerful.

'Don't worry about it, Em,' he says, giving a false laugh. 'I just want to talk to Gabe.'

'No, Haz, please,' I say, tugging at his arm. I look up imploringly into his eyes. 'Julian is in a really bad place right now and he didn't want to tell you about this because he was worried how you would react.'

Harrison rolls his eyes. 'It doesn't matter, Em, seriously. I don't care. Julian doesn't have to tell me everything.'

'Then why are you storming off?' I ask, letting go of Harrison's hand and crossing my arms over my chest.

'Am I not allowed to go talk to Gabe and Chester?'

'Harry,' I say sternly. 'You stormed off because Jules didn't tell you he slept with Lexington. He just said he was worried you would laugh about it. Jules is really caught up about it and he's seriously worried about everything right now, and he just didn't want you laughing it off.'

'Well look at me, Em,' Harrison snaps. 'I'm not laughing it off.'

'He should have told you,' I say. 'You're his best friend. He only told me because I got with Toby so he thought I might have some wise words about it or something. It's not as if you could give him advice about sleeping with someone's partner, since you wouldn't have any experience.'

'Oh, so just because I'm a virgin, Jules doesn't want to talk to me? There's nothing wrong with being a virgin at seventeen. I'm sorry not all of us get drunk and throw ourselves on the opposite sex,' Harrison says cruelly, and he throws one arm in the air to support his point.

I glare at him. 'That's not what I meant at all,' I say. 'Stop taking this the wrong way.'

'How should I take this, Em?' Harrison asks me, and he takes a huge swig from his drink and then throws the plastic cup forcefully. Its trajectory is halted by the wind and it flops at his feet. 'Julian doesn't feel like he can tell me his secrets. Julian is supposed to be my best friend but he treats me as if I just tag along and say a joke every so often. It's like he thinks I'm just there for comic relief.'

'Is that what you really think?' I ask.

Harrison sighs. 'Yes, sometimes. Look, I don't want to talk about it. I'd rather just go and have a few drinks with Gabe and Chester while Julian figures out his own fucked up life.'

He turns again towards the boys but I grab his arm again. 'You just threw away your cup,' I remind him. 'Let's go get you a new drink and then you can hang with the boys.'

Harrison groans but follows me over to a table set up next to the house. There's a punch on the table and Harrison and I both scoop a cup of it. It tastes very strongly of rum and I wrinkle my nose. Harrison downs half a cup.

'Slow down,' I tell him, but he just shakes his head.

'If Julian can get drunk and make bad decisions, so can I.'

'Harry, let's talk,' I say. I lead him over to the back stairs of the house. It's quiet enough here that we can talk without anyone overhearing us. Most people are still down in the yard on the couches.

'Look, Jules didn't mean anything by not telling you about Lexington,' I say. 'He made a big mistake and he doesn't know what to do about it and he only told me because he thought I might have some advice. I asked him why he hadn't told you and he just said he was worried you were going to laugh about it. That's just who you are, Haz. I am so jealous of your ability to just laugh everything off. When you found out I was getting with Toby you just laughed at me. I appreciated it. It made me realise how much of a silly thing it was. Honestly, that's what Julian needs, but he doesn't know it.'