Chapter 9

Emily's PoV

Christmas had finally come around and snow was falling outside. I stood in the kitchen at dad's house listening to Edward and Bella's conversation.

"The snow is sticking," Bella states.

Edward wraps his arm around her waist, "Hey, we still have today."

I smile, walking over, "Edward's right you know. It's Christmas! Let's make the most of it."

I then grab the chocolate cake off the side and take it into the living room.

I watch as Matthew's eyes widen in surprise.

"Is that for me?" He asks.

I chuckle, "Yes, but it's also for your cousin and grandpa, if he wants any."

Matthew smiles and nods enthusiastically.

"Do you want a piece?" I ask.

"Yes please, mum," he replies.

I turn to Renesmee, "would like some too sweetie?"

She looks over at her parents who nod.

"Yes please, Aunt Emily," she responds politely.

I smile and proceed to cut them some slices. I hand them to Jacob and Leah. Before turning to dad.

"You want any dad?" I ask.

He shakes his head, "I'm good, but thanks for asking Emmy."

I nod.

Dad then stands up and announces, "All right! Present time! Let's go! Seth, Leah, stop eating. Jake, you start. Get it going."

I laugh, as the kids finish their chocolate cake.

I watch as Seth and Leah, pass Matthew a present. He opens it to find a large sculpture of a grey wolf.

He rushes over to me, "look mummy, look what Seth and Leah got me."

I bend down and look at it, "that's beautiful," ruffling his hair.

"It's super cool," he exclaims.

I grin, "pass it here, I'll keep it safe so you can place it your room later. Now why don't you get their presents."

He nods and runs over to the tree and hands his present over to them.

I stand up next to Edward and Bella.

Edward looks at me, "how are you, Emily?"

"I'm fine," I respond.

He gives me a pointed look, "really!?"

I sigh, "I'm upset that Jasper isn't here to share Matthew and Renesmee's first Christmas, but I know that he's working hard to save his son and niece."

Edward smiles.

I turn to Bella, "let's give dad his present."

She nods.

"Well, Dad, we didn't have time to wrap yours, but here it is," she states handing him a piece of paper.

I smile, "It's a 5-day fishing trip to Fraser River. It's for you and Sue."

"You leave tomorrow," Edward chips in.

Charlie smiles widely, "Wow, that's really nice. Thank you. Tomorrow? I can't leave tomorrow."

Sue walks over, "I made arrangements for you at work."

"Sneaky. And extravagant," dad laughs.

Edward speaks up, "And non-refundable, I'm afraid."

"You three trying to get rid of me?" He asks us.

I wink, "maybe."

He laughs, "Because it's working!"

He then turns to sue, "Fraser River. That means we'll be chasing Cutthroat."

"We might even hook a Rainbow or some Bulls," Sue states.

He smiles, "Woman knows her trout."

I smile widely, and take a seat next to Matthew.

I notice dad looking up at me.

"Emily, I got this parcel in the post. I think we all know who it's from," dad says, getting up and passing it to me, "I'm sorry he isn't here at the moment."

I look up and take it, "thanks dad."

Matthew then jumps up, "open it! Open it!"

I smile, "okay."

I then open the parcel carefully. I find an envelope along with two presents. I hand Matthew one and he grins widely.

"This is from daddy?" He asks excited.

I nod, "do like it?"

"Like it, I love it," he says rushing off with his new car remote toy.

I then open my present; it was a small bracelet, that had the letter J on it.

I smile as it was simple but beautiful at the same time.

»»-----------------~~~<>~~~ -----------------««

Later that evening I sat in the sofa, with Matthew cuddled up to me. Everyone had decided to call it a night.

Matthew and I had gone home.

The fire was burning brightly, little spits could be heard along with the sound of Matthew sleeping.

Smiling I picked him up and brought him to his room.

I placed him gently onto his bed, closed his curtains, placed his duvet over him. I then closed the door quietly before grabbing Jasper's letter.

Once again I sit in front of the fire and cautiously opened the letter.

Dear Emily,

My sweet and beautiful wife. I'm sorry I'm not with you and Matthew on this extravagant day.
I had hope that I would spend it with you but I'm looking for a way to save our son as well as our niece.

I love you with all my heart. I never meant to hurt you by leaving abruptly. Take care of our son.

I'll see you soon,
Love Jasper

I fold the letter and place it by my side. I then sat and watched the fire before falling asleep.