Chapter 10

Emily's PoV

The snow was starting to stick and no doubt everyone could feel the confrontation with the Volturi getting closer.

Tonight everyone decided to sit around a camp fire and listen to war stories, while Bella and I sat in some tents comforting our children.

As I cuddle Matthew I over hear Edward and Carlisle's conversation.

"I can't help thinking, all these people are putting themselves in danger because Jasper and I fell in love with humans," Edward whispers to Carlisle.

Carlisle, "you found your mate. You deserve to be happy. And so does Jasper."

"But at what cost?"

I could sense Carlisle was smiling at Edward, "Everyone here has something to fight for. I certainly do."

I smile thinking about how I was fighting for Matthew and Jasper. To keep our family whole.

I could sense Edward watching Bella and I.

"Carlisle, I've never thanked you. For this extraordinary life."

I smile widely.

"Mummy, are you okay?"

I turn to my son.

"Yes, Sweetie I'm alright," I reply, bringing him closer to me.

He frowns, "you miss daddy don't you?"

I give him a small smile before picking up a little journal next to me.

I pass it to him, "Your father gave this to me, on my eighteenth birthday. And ever since that day I have written about my fairytale story, of how I fell in love with daddy."

He smiles widely.

"I want you to have it, to cherish and remember me, just in case anything happens with the Volturi," I explain.

He turn to me with a tear in his eye, "your not gonna leave me are you mummy?"

I shake my head, "I'll fight for as long as I can so that I can see your face again."

"Promise?"

I smile at him, "I promise."

»»-----------------~~~<>~~~ -----------------««

Matthew and Renesmee had finally gone to sleep, wrapped up nice and warm in the tent.

Edward, Bella and I all finally join everyone else around the fire. Bella sits on Edwards lap, while I cuddle up to Rosalie.

I stare deeply into the fire, I couldn't stop myself from thinking about Jasper. Was he okay? Has he found a way to save our son? Will he come back to me?

"Emily," I hear a gently voice call out.

I glance over in that direction.

"Emily, sweetie you're crying," Esme calls out, speeding over to me.

She pulls me into her embrace, and I wipe my eyes, but the tears don't seem to stop.

"I didn't even realise," I murmur.

"Shh, it okay," she says, stroking my hair.

"I just never realised why my mum was so protective of me, until now. I don't think I can protect my baby, Esme," I whisper, even though everyone was listening.

"Of course you can. And we are all here to help you," she tells me.

I shake my head, "it's not just that. I can't function without jasper. It's killing me Esme. It feels like every time I finally get somewhere, he leaves. It breaks my heart, and I don't think I can go through it this time."

It goes completely silent.

Until Bella speaks up, "Em. You love Jasper don't you?"

I nod.

"Then focus on that. The pain you feel, turn it into anger and fight for him."

I sigh, "I've never stopped fighting, Bella. I just, I just think I need a mum."

I then turn to Esme, who smiles brightly.

"Oh honey," she then hugs me tightly as I lean into her motherly touch.