Chapter Four - Parents expect us to fart up A's

[two weeks later]  

It's the day before school and I'm happy to say that I'm ready. Well, I'll never be ready for physics but my mom took my out to get stationary and all that shit.

Everyone puts this huge pressure on us because we're in our final year and it's actually the stress that will fuck us up, not the work.

It's like parents expect us to fart up A's, like it's that easy.

My parents don't check my grades, they just tell me I'm going to Yale because they went there, and that is that. Yay me!

"Al," my mom screams from downstairs. "Come meet our lovely new neighbours."

I sigh and roll out of bed, where I have been for most of the day. My mom has been in her office downstairs for the entire day because she works from home, and so she is always here but I consider myself alone due to the fact that she makes it clear nobody must bother her.

My dad works day and night shifts and he basically just lives at the hospital. That's probably why their relationship is so strained, they're just never together.

When they are, though, the conversation is filled with silence and awkward discussions about things that they both really don't care about.

It's awful, really.

I skip down the large marble steps that lead down to the foyer of our extravagant house.

I decided not to change because our entire neighborhood is just filled with old rich people and I am too comfortable to look good for more old people.

I step out of my house, onto the porch. My mom is smiling and talking animatedly to another woman.

When my mom hears me, she turns and her smile widens, "Annie, this is my daughter," she gestures to me and I smile and wave.

She's actually really pretty, and maybe in her thirties. Not the old person I expected but whatever.

"Alicia, this is Annie, your new neighbor," my mom explains and I keep a smile on my face. Nobody really talks to their neighbours here, so I probably will not be seeing much of her.

"Hey Alicia, I made cookies if you'd like some? Chocolate chip. I actually left them in my kitchen, but you're more than welcome to come and get some," Annie smiles and I immediately get excited at the idea of free food.

I may have rich parents but I'm still the type of person that will take anything free, even if I don't need it.

Free shampoo bottle? I mean, I have seven unused ones in my bathroom but hell yeah!

"Thank you," I give her a megawatt smile and my mom just chuckles and shakes her head. I love cookies!

"I swear, she act's like I don't feed her," my mom tells Annie and rolls her eyes, making Annie laugh.

"God, you have no idea. My son can eat three pizzas and still be hungry afterwards," she shakes her head.

"Son?" My mom asks and turns to look at me with a smirk, causing me to internally roll my eyes.