Chapter One - Friend

You sigh as you flip yet another page in your textbook. Your midterm exams were coming up, and unlike most students you actually cared about passing them. You were currently working on your math exam review, possibly the hardest review you've had yet. You absentmindedly flipped your pencil around between your fingers, reading whatever the page in your book had said. Suddenly, your phone started ringing, startling you and making you drop your pencil. Quickly you grabbed it and answered.

"Hello?"

"Hey, (Y/N)!" Your best friend, beamed.

"Oh, hey. Need something?" You asked.

"You studying?" They asked.

"Yeah. Why?"

"Mind if I drop by? I need some help with the math review."

You nodded. "Sure. I'll go unlock the front door for you. I'm home alone right now." You chuckled.

They laughed brightly. "I read ya. See you in a bit!" With that, they hung up.

Silently you stood up and walked downstairs and unlocked the door. Deciding to wait for them you walked into the living room and opened up your laptop. Instantly tons of messages and ads popped up, and you hissed quietly in annoyance.

"Damn... I forgot to close out of (F/SMW) (Favorite social media website~) before I went to bed..." You mumbled to yourself absentmindedly.

Thinking "Why the hell not?", you decided to search through your messages. You had received about 12 messages, 8 of which were annoying chain messages or spam. 2 were from friends regarding some plans you had made. The last one was from a mysterious website. Curiosity got the best of you and you clicked on the message. All it contained was a link. You stared at it for a moment. Right as you were about to click on it, you heard the door open.

"(Y/N)!! I'M HEEEERRRREEEEE!!!"

Sighing you closed your laptop and walked over to greet your friend. They carelessly dropped their backpack on the floor by the door.

"Always acting like you own the place." You chuckled.

They grinned. "I practically live here! I come over all the time, so might as well own it!"

"Whatever you say. Anyway," you turned away. "let's get this over with. I got things I need to do."
~*o*~

The study session, if you even want to call it that, went well. Though all you really did was goof off, you managed to get almost all your work done. Now, you and your friend sat in your bedroom, staring blankly at the ceiling if you weren't on your phones. Suddenly, your friend rolled over and looked at you.

"You hear about those murders?" They asked.

You nodded. "Yeah. Pretty fucked up, huh?"

They nodded. "Yeah. Especially the most recent one. I feel bad for that kid's parents, especially his mother." They sighed. "Seeing your kid torn practically to bits is never something you wanna see."

You nodded slowly. "Did they ever find the killer?" You asked curiously.

Your friend shook their head. "Nope. Although, the police are noticing a pattern, especially after two of them lost their kids to the same fate."

"Pattern?"

"Mhm. They say their child started talking about this new imaginary friend named Laughing Jack. They even got a description of it but still haven't actually seen it." They shrugged. "At this rate, there isn't really any point to searching. They'll never find it."

You shrugged. "They might get lucky."

Your friend chuckled. "Unlikely." Suddenly they stood up. "I'm gonna run off now. See ya later!" They smiled at you and headed downstairs as you waved.

Hours passed and you began to feel drowsy. You cleared off your bed and gathered a tank top and a pair of shorts. After changing you turned off your light and curled up on your bed.