five

CHAPTER FIVE

I roll my eyes at Harry’s cheekiness. He would be one to do that. One moment he’s scared to death and crying over a note, and yet the next he’s waving goodbye to me.

At least I found someone more confusing than me.

When I decide that he won’t be back until a little later than noon, I turn on the telly and flip through the channels, finally resting on a rerun of some stupid reality show. I get up from my spot on the couch and grab an orange from the fridge, deciding to eat healthy for once. Who knows, if I ever become human and keep eating like this, I’ll be huge.

I keep watching the horrible show before I remember another thing Harry did before he left; respond to my note.

Without thinking twice, I spring from the couch, run to the kitchen, look at the counter, and indeed see another note from Harry in his messy handwriting on the dull yellow paper.

It was a simple note that still brought a smile to my face. Not for the reason that it made me feel special, but for the reason that I brought Harry enough happiness that he decided to dedicate something as simple as a note just to thank me.

It was a simple thank you for giving him his books back, which I’m proud of doing now. I really needed to get that off my chest, and now that I have, it feels like a whole weight has been dropped from my body.

It doesn’t seem like I need to respond to Harry’s note, so I don’t, and I go and sit back down on the couch with the biggest smile on my face.

He’s happy, I’m happy, and all is good in my little word.

I watch the telly a while longer, and subconsciously peek over at the oven only to see that it’s four o’clock in the afternoon.

I start to worry that something has happened to Harry. I think that maybe the thing in my dreams is actually real. All I want is for Harry to come back and be okay because even though I have never met him, I know he deserves to be safe.

I’m becoming paranoid even though I know that he may just be out with friends. Who knows what could happen, though.

I stand up and look at the door, growing more and more anxious. I know I can’t open it, but I’m really thinking about just trying, just to see if Harry is here yet.

For a moment, I stare at the door and weigh my chances. Maybe it will open, maybe it won’t, but what’s the worse that can happen?

Without thinking any farther, I walk to the door slowly, taking small steps. When I reach the front, I slowly bring my hand in front of me and shakily put it on the knob. I take one deep breath, before turning my wrist.

It doesn’t even process in my mind that the handle actually moves, and when I do realize, a huge smile sets itself on my face. A laugh escapes my mouth, and my eyes widen out of pure shock. 

I move to pull it open, but just as quick as I had turned it, the door handle turns the other way and I realize I didn’t open the door.

Before I can even register my actions, I run to the wall and stand against it as I realize Harry is home. But it’s not only Harry because out of the crack from the door I can see one, two, three, four other boys enter.

Panic rushes through me as it registers in my mind that I can’t become invisible since Harry woke up earlier than me today, so when the last boy that walks in doesn’t shut the door, I let out a quick breath of relief.

They go to the couch and one boy grabs a couple chairs from the kitchen table, still making no move to close the door. The four chat among themselves, laughing and talking about how small Harry’s flat is, but it’s very nice and fitting for him, nonetheless.