twenty two

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

I freeze and my mouth drops open in a gape. He's not supposed to see me, Harry is the only one that's supposed to see me because-yes, I am far from alive and just as dead as I was fifteen minutes ago. All of this doesn't make sense because Alfie is not some medium or whatever the Hell they're called and he doesn't own the flat. So, why can he see me?

"Vi, is that you?" He makes his way around the couch, tears swelling in his eyes as he slowly makes his way towards me.

I figure out that my legs actually are working and move away from him almost as slow as he's moving towards me. "Don't call me that."

He stops and gapes at me, his eyes widen. "Don't call you-whatever, Violet, I'm so-Violet I-are you alive?"

I tighten my jaw, my eyes narrowing on his. I hate him so much. "Do I look alive, you dumb piece of shit?" I sneer, backing away at a steady pace, although all I really want to do is just throw a knife at his chest. He starts to walk towards me again, and I really can't take that, "Take another step and I swear to God, I will kill you." Which, probably isn't true because I don't know if a dead person can actually kill a living person, but it causes him to stop advancing towards me, anyway.

He breathes in slowly and tears begin to fall down his cheeks, but I will mine to stay away for a while longer. "Violet, I'm so sorry." He sobs and all I can think is, please don't cry Violet, "Violet, I think about it everyday, I-"

"Please stop." I say, shaking my head and-starting to cry. I hate this. I hate Alfie, I hate this flat, I hate London; I just hate everything right now. I just want Harry to come back and tell Alfie to leave.

He begins to cry more, having to wipe some of the tears away. He starts to walk towards me again, but I'm too late to stop him before he's trying to hug me.

I yelp in pain, collapsing to the ground from being properly squished from all around. Alfie finally steps back, but I'm too busy trying not to rush over to the kitchen and stab him to be worried about where he is at the moment.

"Oh my God, Violet, are you okay? I'm so sorry." He bends down so that he's eye level with me. I just glare at him and move my head as far away from his as I can without falling over.

"Don't start with me." I hold up my hand, separating us as best as I can. "Just-get the Hell away from me."

Alfie looks pained and he still doesn't move away. I put down my hand, looking him straight in the eye, both of us crying and both of merely an arms length apart.

He takes a deep breath, squeezes his eyes shut, lets out a sigh, opens his eyes, and says, "I love you so, so much, Vi."

And, maybe I'd be alive right now if I loved him, but I don't really know how that works since he isn't supposed to even see me in the first place.

"No you don't." I say, sliding away from him, "Get out of my sight before I call Harry-" and then it comes to me that this boy is dating Harry's sister and he says he loves me and he should never be able to have a girlfriend ever again. I should call Harry to beat him up.

His eyes widen and he takes a deep breath, holding it in before quietly saying, "No, no, there's no need for that." He stands up, slowly backing away from me, tears still in his eyes and tears steadily flowing down my cheeks. He sits on the couch and wipes away his tears bristly. I quietly get up, doing the same, and sitting in the window seat with my legs held against my chest.

I hear Harry talking on the phone outside and he sounds extremely happy and carefree while I'm depressed and feel as though killing myself for a second time by drowning myself in the sink. All I can think about is Alfie being here and Harry talking on the phone instead of talking to me and that person is probably Elizabeth.