thirty one

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE

Harry’s silent and is still looking at the ground and I just stand, trying to quiet my sobs to small sniffles and hope that I haven’t screwed everything up.

“I’m sorry.” I whisper, my lip quivering because I just want Harry to look at me, “I—I just thought you should know, I know you don’t feel the same but—” Harry cuts me off in the middle and I look up to him hopefully.

Violet.” He says, coming back into the flat and looking down at me, “Are you crazy?”

And then I just can’t stop the tears because I knew he didn’t feel the same and I messed it all up.

“I’m sorry.” I sob, “I thought you could fix this I…” I trail off, not knowing how to finish.

Luckily Harry does for me. “Violet!” He says again, this time more urgent, “I meant are you crazy, thinking I didn’t love you?” I look back up, my mouth falling open on it’s own accord, “Violet, I love you—so much!”

“Y-You do?” I question, not being able to believe that this isn’t some dream, “I mean, you don’t have to say it just because I did, I understand.”

Harry just chuckles and takes a step towards me, “I’m saying it because I mean it.” He says, and then laughs in disbelief, “God, I wish I could kiss you right now.”

I bite my lip, looking up at him with expectant eyes, “I think—I mean,” I shake my head, trying to stay calm, “I think you should.” I say, my stomach turning.

Harry gives me a questioning look, and I kind of feel flustered, “What do you mean?” He asks, unsure, “Violet, I could like, hurt you.”

“And that’s a risk I’m willing to take,” I say, a nervous smile on my face, “Trust me, okay?” I ask, looking at Harry’s eyes for any type of regret or negative reaction, “Trust me.”

He takes a shuddery breath, “Okay.” Harry whispers, licking his lips slowly. He nods and then wipes away at the tears in his eyes and on his cheeks, smiling softly. He then slowly takes a deep breath and leans in, looking into my eyes calmly, searching for any sort of regret. I nod, smiling slowly and then closing the space in between us.

But it’s not anything normal, of course, because I don’t fall through him and Harry’s head doesn’t go straight through mine. I feel Harry’s lips on mine and I can softly reach out and touch his face. Harry feels it, too, evidently, when he lets out a surprised laugh and wraps his arms around me and I feel warm, laughing and smiling while also crying and kissing Harry.

His lips taste like cinnamon and it maybe metaphoric happiness because you can’t taste happiness but kissing Harry is happiness to me, so I count it.

I pull back, beaming at Harry, and sucking in a huge breath of air, closing my eyes and letting in the feel of oxygen coursing through my lungs.

Harry puts a hand over his mouth, letting out a happy chuckle again and I open my eyes slowly. “Violet!” He says excitedly, “You look—You have…” He shakes his head, then takes my hands in his, softly running his fingers over my knuckles before bringing them up to my face, beaming and crying.

I gasp as I look to see my hands changing from an ugly grey to a pale tan. I look down to see color flowing throughout my body from the blue denim of my old jeans to the dark brown in my hair. I don’t even think before jumping into Harry’s arms, hugging and holding on to him tightly, intent on never letting him leave. My legs wrap around his waist and my face in the crook of his neck laughing with joy.