23. getting to know you

For the past two days, my phone has been going off non-stop

For the past two days, my phone has been going off non-stop. I didn't dare to answer it. I had basically spent the whole weekend in my room, the only time I got up was to eat or use the bathroom. I didn't even tell my parents why. I didn't tell them that everyone knows what happened last year. They would be very upset.

I ordered pizza so when the door bell rang I instantly got up and opened the door. Only to see Jace standing by my door a worried expression on his face. His blonde hair was a mess but not in a bad way. He was wearing blue jeans and a grey hoodie. I couldn't help but feel self conscious. I was a mess and he never was.

"Can I come in?" He asked his voice soft. I nodded my head and opened the door wide. He stepped in observing his location. "Scarlett?"

I nervously looked up at him through my eyelashes, and I fidgeted under his intense gaze. "Yes?" I asked quietly, my voice just above a whisper I was sure he didn't hear me.

He sighed and stepped closer towards me. "Please tell me what happened. Everyone has been asking about you, you didn't come to school today."

"I don't want to talk about it! I barely even know you." I said turning away from his face. I hate to be so cruel but that was the truth and only the truth. I barely knew Jace Walker. I only knew him as the the boy with the diary I stole.

"Well I want to get to know you." He said, "Look the first time I met you I was a total ass. I just want to make things right." He sighed, "You really don't have to tell me I get it, but I can't help Maddie unless I really know what happened here and she won't say a word. Blair?" He questioned. "Who is Blair, is she you?"

I instantly pulled back turning around, shielding my face from his. "Please don't call me that." I whispered.

"Then what should I call you?" He asked pulling me back to face him. "Tell me what happened. I mean Maddie has been going crazy, all she's said is how sorry she is. She told me that you're actually Blair. . . I don't know who to believe."

The door bell suddenly rang again. I stopped for a second and looked at Jace. He had an expression that I couldn't quite read. I walked over to the door and opened it. I was definitely surprised to see Ava standing at my door. "Oh my gosh Scar!" She said pulling me into a hug. "I'm so worried about you! Tell me what's going on. I remember JJ telling me awhile back you got into something you couldn't quite get out of."

"I hope you don't  mind that I called Ava." Jace suddenly said, "She was really worried about you... and so was I."

I really didn't like seeing Ava like this. She really did look worried. Her beautiful green eyes were puffy and her face was red. She had looked the same when JJ had broken up with her.

I sighed, "Fine." I gestured for Ava to come inside. Once she was, they both followed me upstairs into my bedroom. We walked up the long stairs and once we got there I said, "You guys might want to sit down."

Jace sat down on a pink chair I had in my room. "You're a ballet dancer?" He asked with a small smile.

Ava let out a soft sigh and sat down at the end of my bed, looking desperately at me. I really wanted to tell her. I hope she wouldn't be mad at me for not telling her sooner.

I nodded at Jace and started to speak, "A year ago I met a boy." I said. "He was sweet and he was a gentleman." I stopped to look at Jace and Ava. I couldn't quite read the expression on their faces. "I had boyfriends before him so another one wouldn't hurt right? But I was wrong. Once we started dating everything went downhill from there. He would get mad at the littlest things, like if another guy looked at me, or if I wore something he didn't like. First it was just verbal abuse but. . . it got physical."

Ava walked over to me and wiped the tears I didn't know had fallen down onto my cheeks. "Are you okay?" She asked softly.

"No," I said my face burning with anger. "I told him I would leave him, but he threaten to kill me. He was two years older then me. I should have known." It was true. I loved Adam with all my heart, I might have been naive, but I thought we would be together forever. . . until he betrayed me.

"Scar. . ." Ava said slowly as put her arms around me. "It never will be your fault. Gosh, I'm such a bad friend. Why didn't you tell me?"

"I couldn't." I said, "Well, I wasn't suppose to. I had to run away with my family. I couldn't be with him anymore and he really couldn't understand that." I laughed, "I mean he really thought I was his. . . but I wasn't. I didn't belong to him. So, my mom suggested that maybe I should change." I paused for a second trying to stop the horrible memories from coming back into my head. "Just to be safe my dad said that I should change my name just so that he couldn't find me by my name either."

Overall it felt good to get this off my chest. Jace was so calm and collected. Oddly I didn't mind telling him, and I definitely told him more than I thought I would. Whenever I'm near him my stomach does somersaults. But what did I possibly expect to happen between us? I'm almost certain he doesn't feel the same way about me. He only came to get me to talk to Madison right? But Ava? I already knew how worried she was about me.

"I'm going to let you guys talk for a bit." She said giving me one last smile before she walked away while saying, "I'm going to get some water."

"I'm so sorry." Jace said. "I shouldn't have made you tell me if you weren't ready." He said but suddenly his eyes drifted away from my face and my eyes widen in fear. I quickly turned back. Could he see the diary?

I immediately stepped right in front of him and quickly rambled over my words. "It's fine you know. I-I don't mind."

Jace tilted his head toward me but he didn't say else.

———
Love you all. Thank you for reading.