24. don't tell

"Please Jace," I said frantically walking in circles

"Please Jace," I said frantically walking in circles. "You can't tell anyone. My parents would kill me, but I guess I had to tell you because of Madison."

"Scarlett," He said, "I'm not going to tell anyone if you don't want me too."

"Thank you." I said with a sad smile.

Jace smiled softly. "Now you have to talk to Maddie." Just as he said that Ava came back into my room.

My eyes widen at his words. I can't talk to Madison because she caused all of this. "No," I said. "I'm sorry, I can't. You don't understand what she did to me." I said all too quickly. "Madison was basically the only witness I had. She was my best friend." I looked at Ava and smiled sadly, "But in court Madison lied in front of everyone and told them that Adam has never done anything to me. I would tell and show her everything, she knew what he did to me. That's also the reason why she keeps calling me Blair because she only knows me as Blair but, I'm not that person anymore."

"That's horrible Scar!" Ava gasped, and I know she was so shocked because she would never do anything like that. "How could they believe her?"

"Scarlett you have too. She hasn't stop crying in three days." Jace said his voice slightly higher.

Should I? Maybe there's more to the story. Probably not, it's my story after all. "Scarlett, please." He begged.

"Fine," I mumbled.

"Are you sure that's such a good idea, Scar?" Ava asked.

"Yeah Av, I'll be fine." I turned away from Ava to look at Jace. "Jace, I'll be right back." I mumbled as Ava and I walked out of my room and then down the stairs.

"Scarlett, just know that I would never do anything like-"

"I know." I cut her off. "You don't have to say it." I smiled this time. "Thank you for always being there for me even though I wasn't even telling you the truth. Gosh, I'm the bad friend here."

Ava laughed and pulled me into a hug. "Don't be silly Scar! I know you couldn't necessarily tell me and I respect that." She let go of me gently and looked me in the face. "Just know you can tell me anything now."

"Okay," I smiled.

"I'm so happy you're alright Scarlett. I wish I could come with you and Jace but I think you guys need a little alone time." She winked at me. "Plus I have this family thing, I'll see you later."

Once Ava left I heard someone behind me and I knew it was obviously Jace. I spun around to meet his face and I wondered why he cared so much. "Why did you come here really?" I blurted out. "Why do you care about my problems?"

He looked up at me. His face calm and collected. Why was he always so calm? "I already told you why?" He said, I shrugged and he sighed loudly. "There's something different about you that I like."

---

"Blair please I'm sorry."

I had driven with Jace over to his house, to talk to Madison. I would be lying if I said I didn't feel nervous. I couldn't ignore the sick feeling in my stomach when I saw her face again after a year. Her jet black hair was a mess, and her crystal blue eyes looked pink and puffy. Maybe she was really crying for three days straight.

"Please let me explain." She begged.

I looked at her for a moment too long. Studying her every move, my eyes squinted. "My name is Scarlett. Blair died a long time ago, she's a figure of my imagination." I said fighting the strong urge to burst into tears.

She shook her head quickly. "See, that's where you're wrong. There's so much you don't know."

"Explain then." I said flatly.

"Okay," She started exhaling sharply. "I was in love with you. I guess I still am." She said nervously.

I gasped at her words. I stood there shocked. I turned to look at Jace. I could tell he was shocked as well. Finally finding the courage to speak I said, "You're in love with me?" I asked. "But. . . we were best friends. . . I don't understand." I couldn't find the right words to make it better.

She nodded her head slowly while keeping her eyes glued to my face. "You were Blair Edwards. The girl with long blonde hair and a beautiful smile. I couldn't help it, that's how Adam found out."

"Adam found out what?" I asked my eyes widening in shock.

"Of course I couldn't tell you. I mean we were best friends, so I made a video." She said sadly.

Why would Madison be in love with me? From what I remember she always liked boys. She almost had a new boyfriend every week. "That doesn't explain why you lied in court." I spat.

"Adam blackmailed me. He said that he would tell everyone that I was a lying cheating bitch who liked girls instead of boys." She turned to look at Jace. "Jace, you know how religious my parents are. They would have disowned me!"

Again, I stood there in shock. Adam really did blackmail Madison? I was right. All so he could win the case. One, two, three, and he was out. Free. He could do anything he wanted to me. One, two, three. My eyes twitched as the reality sunk in. "When you talked about your cousin you were talking about Jace?" I asked pointing in the direction to where Jace was standing. I felt stupid, because I couldn't connect the dots. I mean, a lot of people had the name Jace right?

Jace nodded and ran his hand over the length of his face and before speaking again. "Wow. . ."

"See!" Madison yelled her eyes wider then before. "I never meant to hurt you. It was all Adam. He was going to tell everyone! My life would have been over. About a year ago before you moved, I remembered that you said if you ever had to move away from him, you would move to this town. Then something suddenly clicked. I also remembered that Jace lives here and there's only one big high school so I thought he may know you. On Friday when I came here I was going to ask Jace but then I saw you. . ." She trailed off. After a few moments she burst into tears. Jace rushed over to console her.

I just stood there as I watched her cry.

I wanted to hate her in every way. But I knew her too well. I knew that she wouldn't lie under oath. It was all Adam's doing. But why didn't she think about me? What I would have to go through if Adam didn't go to prison.