Chapter 46: Geese and Bows

Unedited, it's really late...

On the day of my wedding, I didn't have high expectations for Einarr as a husband. While I trusted him to keep me safe and providing for me, as the honorable man he was, I had thought our lives would return to a dull routine. The deed was sealed and I was his. His courting should have ended. But he was never so predictable. He was my Einarr, aetheling, judge and fierce warrior. A man of strong beliefs, to the point of stubbornness, one of them being that he should love his wife, and make sure she never doubted it. And to this day, he hasn't failed in that regard.

Weaving words was not his skill, as he had told me afore. But his memory and keen sense of observation, honed by years learning laws and piloting ships, were put to good use when it came to spoil me. He would remember everything I liked, every sign of excitement I displayed, and come up with a gesture or a present that never failed to bring a smile on my face.

I fondly recall these weapons on our bed, as the first step to his never ending seduction.

At first I didn't believe my eyes. I had thought them gone, given to one of his crew or sold to a trader. I reached for my bow with trembling hands. It had been a witness to many happy moments, hunting in the forests with my brothers.

"I hoped you would like these back. You've been tiring easily of late, and this is something you can do without much effort. There isn't a large choice of game here, but birds will soon be back for nesting and we could use their meat for our table..."

"I might try and compete with you then. Thank you." My fingers stroked the smooth wood and I pulled the sting, frowning when my swollen breast came in the way. "I might have to bind my chest, I was slimmer when I last used this."

"I would be a great pity. I quite enjoy it as is." He wiggled his eyebrows and I slapped his wandering hands away.

"I am armed and dangerous now, husband, you'd do well to remember it."

He scoffed. "As I once told you, you wouldn't beat a sleeping man, little dreki."

I grabbed my seax and pretended to stab him, but the knife was still in its sheath and he evaded it easily. He disarmed me and took my bow and quiver, hanging them on the weapon rack. Then he prowled towards me, cornering me against the bed.

"So you want to fight me, Sunngifu. Let's see how well you fare..." He grinned and pushed on my shoulders and I yelped as I flopped on the mattress. I soon discovered that losing a fight can be just as satisfying as winning it.

It was a nice farm. I was inspecting my morning gift and I loved what I saw. The house was small but in good shape, and boasted separate stables and animal pens. The base was a low stone wall, on which a turf structure had been built. Patches of grass emerged from the snow around the smoke hole.

But it was the scenery that stole my heart. The land was located on the low side of the cliff, with a gentle slope ending on a beach. It was high enough that the highest waves couldn't reach, and had a perfect view of the fjord. I could picture myself living there.

I greeted the tenants, whom I had met at my wedding feast, enquiring about the running of the farm, the number of slaves and servants, the size and quality of the fields. I roamed around the buildings, taking notes of repairs needed, counting the heads of cattle, pigs and poultry. When I was satisfied that I knew all I needed about my property I sat in the yard with a steaming cup of mint and watched the sea. Einarr stood behind me, a mawkish smile etched on his lips. His hands rubbed my shoulders in the way I enjoyed so much. I sighed contentedly and giggled when my bearn shifted, disturbed in his sleep.

I looked up, palm splayed on my belly. "It's beautiful. He likes it."

"Should I consider moving my household here?"

I guessed he was joking, yet I wasn't entirely sure. I wonder what he would have done, had I agreed. But I didn't. "And throw these good people out of their home? I would not consider it. It does make divorcing you more appealing though..."

His fingers dug in my shoulders and I hastily added: "Nay, it is not worth it. The bed would be cold, I would have to replace you with a big dog to keep it warm, and they don't smell as good." I sighed dramatically. "I guess I'll have to remain married then. Ouch!"

He had pinched the tender spot in the crook of my neck. "You should never tease a bear, Sunngifu. They have many ways to retaliate."

I chuckled and proffered my hand for him to haul me up. The stool was too low to manage it on my own.

As we were riding back, a flock of geese flew over our heads, and Einarr pointed at them.

"Did you not challenge me to an archery contest, my dear wife? I thought we could settle it in the morrow. What say you?"

"It would be my pleasure. May the best woman win!" I wasn't as confident as it seemed. I hadn't used my bow in months, and my body had a different shape then. But I used to have good aim and I was proud. I wanted to prove that I could beat him. Maybe then he would cease taunting me.

So the next day we went to the frosty meadow beside the hall, far enough that no loose arrow would hit a servant, and waited for the birds to show. A good few people stood in the yard, watching us from a distance. This worried me. I had trained on straw bales the previous evening, getting the hang of my new shape, and was pleased with the results. But what would his men think of my husband if I beat him?

"Mayhap we should go to a more secluded place?"

"You need not be ashamed of losing, Sunngifu, they won't think less of you for it."

That did it. Why did I even bother? I would do whatever it took to crush him.

We heard the geese before we saw them. It was a large flock, stretching in a wedge shape in the blue sky. I adjusted my quiver on my back and nocked an arrow. I aimed and shot, and a first bird fell.

Ignoring the dog running to pick it, I nocked another, and another, until the flock was out of range. Eimear raised her hand, thumb in. Five, I had got five. Anxious I turned to Einarr, wondering how well he had done. I needn't worry. He only struck two, and was quite crestfallen about it. It made sense, he was the warrior, and I, a noblewoman. He should have bettered me easily. Yet while he was proficient at the use of many weapons, I was ever only allowed one, and had trained long hours to master it.

I smiled sweetly and patted his arm. "It isn't bad, for a beginner. You'll get better with practice." I swung my bow and added: "Do not fear, I will protect you if we are attacked."

Ignoring his outraged face, I strutted back to the house.

By the evening his composure had returned, and he faced the many jokes his men threw at him in good humor. He praised my archery skills and complimented me on my ability to defend his land in his absence. A toast was made in my honor and we ate the roasted birds with appetite.

So I was surprised when his expression turned dark after we retired in our chamber.

"Are you still angry with me? I'm sorry that I won but you had challenged me..."

He shook his head. "Nay, little dreki, it isn't that. I do not resent you for winning. I was furious at myself, for underestimating you. I cannot afford such mistakes; in a fight, they would get me killed. So I'm grateful to you for reminding me this."

"What is ailing you then?"

"I received a message today. The snow has melted in the pass, and I am needed in the spring court. I have to leave in two days." His lips thinned.

I took a deep breath. Now was not the time to behave as a child. "It is your duty. You have to go, husband. I hope you'll be back in time to see your son be born, but if not, I'll keep him in good health while waiting for you." My heart was breaking, but I couldn't show it.

"I know you will. You are stronger than you seem, Sunngifu. I chose my wife well."

I blinked to hide my tears and hugged him. "I'll miss you though," I whispered in his ear.

"I'm not gone yet. Let's enjoy the time we have left."