VANCE - Chapter 1

~ Vance - Chapter One ~

     "I don't need you sitting here watching over me," I grunted, glancing up at Saxon as he reclined in the large seat across from my desk. Paperwork was all over the wooden surface in front of me, some scattered while some piled up neatly and it was starting to do my head in.

I am a fighter, not a paperboy and it didn't help with having him sit across from me with that annoying and arrogant smirk on his ugly face.

"I can't just sit here?" he asked, raising one eyebrow as his smirk grew in size and a low growl rumbled through my chest.

"No, just go home to Eva or something," I half snapped, trying not to let him get to me; I knew he was sitting here just waiting for me to crack and admit I hated this part of being an Alpha, but I refused to.

I may not have original Alpha blood in me, but ever since I accepted the position, I can feel it within me to be stronger, faster and more powerful. Just the title changes the perspective of everything and deep down, I just wanted to prove to everyone – especially Saxon – that I was worthy of the position.

Saxon shifted uncomfortably in his seat and I noticed a guilty expression sweep across his face, "Uh, I may be avoiding her."

Shock bolted through my body, but I kept my face neutral as I slowly sat up and leant back in my chair. Looking over and meeting his gaze, as I twirled the pen between my fingers, "Why?"

Saxon looked out the window behind me and shrugged, "The girl is crazy."

Scoffing as past memories of all the annoying and stupid things Eva has done while she has just been around me, the word crazy was too light to use for her. "You sure know how to pick them."

Saxon glared at me, pinching his lips together, "Just you wait until you find your mate, I hope she is in a loony bin or something."

Smirking ever so slightly, "Eva will still put her to shame if that's the case."

He stood up on his feet, clearly not impressed and before I could stop the idiot, he had messed up my nicely stacked piles of papers. Even throwing half of them across the room in his little tantrum, staring up at him wide eyed and opened mouth, "I can't believe you just did that!"

Saxon looked down at me, trying to hide his grin, "You bet I did, Alpha."

"Go home Saxon!" I growled, pointing to my open door and glaring at him. I had spent too long going through all this and now I would have to start all over again.

"I'm going to the gym, my house is too noisy," he grumbled and walked out.

"That's what you get for living with the Thorns!" I called out after him. 

I didn't have a problem with the Thorns, mostly just Eva was annoying even though she had her moments where she was okay, but there were too many people running around their house - it was chaos over there.

Looking down at all the paperwork scattered across my desk and the floor, I groaned loudly, "Stuff this."

'Keith!' I called out loudly through the mind link, and waited for his response as I stood up and walked over to the window, glancing out at the dark skies and the heavy downpour of rain flooding the grounds.

'Yes Alpha?' he muttered back, sounding bored and I smirked a little.

'Paperwork,' I almost grinned as I heard him groan loudly in my mind.