TRAVIS - Chapter 2

~ Travis – Chapter Two ~

     “She won’t stop crying and I’ve tried everything!” I protested, rocking Tala in my arms as I walked back and forth in front of Dad’s desk. He was just sitting back, chilling, and watching his first born son struggle helplessly.

The old man shrugged, trying, but failing to hide the grin on his face, “Maybe she wants her Mum?”

Rolling my eyes, “Emily’s having a relaxing bath, I can’t disturb her.”

Dad shrugged again, “Take her for a walk?”

Groaning as I looked down at the little girl crying in my arms, “Do you want to go for a walk?” I cooed, which only caused her to cry a little louder. “She hates me, its official. I'm the worse father out there, I can’t even make my baby girl happy and she’s only a few days old! How am I going to manage when she’s a teenager?”

Dad chuckled deeply and I glared over at him, “Are you laughing at me?”

He nodded with a massive smile on his face, “You’re overreacting, you’re doing a great job, but sometimes babies only want their mums.”

“That doesn’t help me right now; I had to force Emily into taking some time out to relax. If she finds out Tala hated me the entire time, she will never leave me alone with her again.”

“Son, are you purposely in my office so Emily won’t hear Tala crying?” he cocked an eyebrow as he stared over at me.

I stopped walking and smiled sheepishly, “Whatever do you mean?” and then I frowned, “Great, now I sound like my little sister,” I grunted and continued walking, rocking Tala gently in my arms, “Why are babies such hard work?”

Dad laughed loudly and I shot him daggers again. Eventually he calmed down and smirked at me, “Try having six of the buggers. Better yet, wait until they are ‘grown up’ and supposedly ‘independent’, but still come harassing you while you try and earn money to keep them all fed and clothed.”

Rolling my eyes as I muttered, “A bit of an exaggeration there, I don’t harass you. Maybe Eva and Grant because they are babies like that, but not me.”

Dad looked at me pointedly, “What are you doing now?”

Groaning with frustration, “I’m asking for help and all you’re doing is laughing at me and comparing me to you.”

“Yeah, he tends to do that a lot. Wait until you have Dad and Emily ganging up on you with ways of how to seduce your mate – that was a nightmare and scarred me for life,” Eva muttered, glaring at Dad as she walked towards me.

“That was actually the best father daughter talk we have ever had – made my day it did,” Dad grinned and I rolled my eyes at him again. Aren’t you supposed to mature with time, not grow more immature?

“Come here my cute little niece,” Eva cooed as she reached out and took a crying Tala from my arms. I immediately flopped down into the seat facing Dad’s desk and sighed with relief.

Tala stopped crying almost instantly and Eva grinned as if she had just won gold. My jaw dropped open as I stared at the two in disbelief, “You have got to be kidding me,” I threw my arms up into the air, feeling completely ripped off right now.

Eva turned and smiled even wider at me, “Sucked in, she loves me and hates you; worse father of the year Travis, wait until I tell Emily – I’m so getting into her good books again.”

“No you are not!” I shouted, glaring at her, “Or I will tell Emily who washed her favourite top and shrinked it.”

Eva’s jaw dropped, “You wouldn’t,” she breathed, eyes widening.