TRAVIS - Chapter 4

~ Travis – Chapter Four ~

      Standing in the backyard, surrounded by darkness since the sun went down a few hours ago, I could hear Eva and Dad coming back before I could see them and I groaned silently. A huge part of patrolling is to be nonexistence, to not let any trespassers know you are coming their way – I guess someone forgot to give these two that memo.

“...and then the head was all like rah rah rah, and everyone pointed their fingers at me! Can you believe that, Dad? They all instantly blamed me and I honestly had stayed in the classroom for the entire lesson studying up darn giraffes as my animal project!” she cried out, still out of my sight.

“I cannot believe they would blame you, sweetie,” Dad mumbled back, sarcasm dripping from his tone.

Eva paused for a moment, but then continued, “I know right! Bunch of douche bags they all are. The one time I’m innocent, I get blamed anyway.”

Saxon and Brody walked up behind me, meeting Dad and Eva for the shift swap. Brody nodded slightly in my direction as he stood by my side, but then gazed off into the distance. My guess is he was thinking of Alana and I wondered how long it was going to take for him to get his act together and man up about the entire situation.

Emily wants me to forcefully lock the two of them in the same room together - a room neither of them can break out of using their inhuman strengths, but I didn't think that would be a good idea. Brody needs to let his own stubborn butt accept the inevitable and get the heck over it.

Forcing him will not work, and it will only make it worse for Alana. Though, I'm a little worried over how strange Emily has been behaving, She never use to be the forceful type, or the type to make threats against people, but I find she has been lately and the only thing I can put down to it is 'after pregnancy hormones' - if there is even such a thing.

Making a mental note to ask Dad about that later, I watched as Eva and the old man stepped out from the thick trees. Eva grinned over at me, her face lighting up and I grinned back.

"Hey babe," Saxon's deep voice resonated through the bush.

"What did I say about calling me a pig?" Eva demanded, her grin instantly fading and I instantly felt like a total douche thinking she had been that happy to see me, when it was actually over Saxon.

Rolling my eyes, I couldn't help but feel a little jealous. I'm happy for my sister, more than words can describe, but I miss the days when she use to turn to me for help or advice. When she would look up to me as her oldest brother, best friend and protector. I miss the days she would come into my room and jump on my bed, annoying me in the process with her random crap she would dribble non-stop or how she always expected me to immediately take her side in whatever argument she was in with the others - especially if she was wrong.

 Now she has Saxon for all of that and she no longer needs me. 

"It's an affectionate pet name, so suck it up or I'll think of something much, much worse," Saxon teased, grinning widely.

Dad shook his head and turned to face Brody as he approached closer to us, but he didn't say anything. He didn't need to though, the look in his eyes said it all - he was worried about Brody, we all were.

"Travis, tell him to cut it out," Eva muttered, looking over at me and I stared back at her in slight shock.

"Don't bring your big brother into this," Saxon grunted as he went to wrap his arms around Eva, but she jumped back out of his reach, poking her tongue out childishly in the process.

Shaking my head, I looked to Dad, "Anything?"

Dad shrugged, "Not really. We caught a few faint scents, but nothing too close just yet."