Chapter 23

Nicole Kidd

'I don't want to do this to them' I told my wolf.

'Neither do I, but we have to make him happy'

'I know, but they're our best friend. They've done everything and always been there for us'

'Do you think this is easy for me? I don't want to do this to them, but I don't want him to be disappointed at us either. We need to do this'

I didn't want to say anything else to her. I cut my connections and rested my head back on the car seat.

I closed my eyes and started to reply all the gruesome events that happened over the past few weeks after I met them. I hated doing what I did, but I didn't have a choice. I reassured myself that whatever I did, it was for the best.

I opened my eyes only to see Layla and Kingsley walking out of Laser Kingdom, both laughing and smiling. I remember when all three of us used to go there every weekend just to kill time, those were the days.

I felt wetness gather in my eyes. A teardrop managed to escape the barrier of eyelashes, and ran down my cheek. I miss them.

I miss my best friends.

'you can't cry, just do what you were told to do' I told myself.

I started my car and drove off, telling myself whatever happens, will happen for the best.

Layla Cortdale

As I was washing my hands in the restroom, I felt someone's presence behind me. I looked up in the mirror and saw it was Nicole.

Wait... Nicole? I turned around and looked at her with a confused expression.

"Nicole?...Nicole!" I said while running up to her, hugging her as hard as I could.

"Where the hell where you? You've been M.I.A" I told her while pulling away.

She was so quiet.

I examined her closely. She looked so tired, so distant. I couldn't find any emotions. It was as if they were sucked up and thrown away. Her blonde hair was put into a messy bun, it looked matted and disheveled. Her ember green eyes were puffy, red, and had dark circles underneath them. This isn't the Nicole I knew.

What happened to her?

"What's wrong?" I asked her.

She took both my hands off of her shoulder and stepped back.

"Layla, I can't be friends with you anymore"

I started to chuckle," you're not serious, are you?"

"I'm serious" she said to me, looking me straight in the eyes.

I saw a flash of sadness and guilt, but as quick as they appeared, they were gone.

"Why?" I asked in shock and despair.

"It's complicated"

"Nicole, you can tell me. You always tell me everything"

"Some things change, I changed"

"No you didn't, you're just scared to tell me"

"I'm not scared"

"Then tell me" I urged.

"No"

"Nicole" I sternly said.

"You wouldn't understand. I've did something that I'm not proud of. If I told you or Kingsley." she paused. "I could lose you both"