Chapter 10: Jinxed

"Crystal, come 'ere," Brian signaled his daughter over to the meeting area just as she was about to leave for rehearsals. The bag was necessary for them to think she's still going to school and back from late hour project making, which Crystal successfully reasoned to be a necessary activity for her to graduate or else she'll fail and repeat her last grade. Her mother would obviously not agree to that, so her dad had no choice but to let her be.

"Alright, last meeting of the day, fellas! We're gonna be rich!" he laughed whole heartedly, followed by cheers of the crowd which had doubled ever since the small time gang where Aeon is part of, has officially joined the Riot Starters in preparation for their upcoming union.

"Last? Is the shipment today?" she can't help but ask.

"I've just gotten a word from the guys we've posted nearby the warehouses. After it's delivered to the southern, it's gonna get checked in a minimum of one hour before it gets into the cargo. We'll steal it before that happens."

Crystal sighed in relief of that thought that this whole thing with the Bunny Brothers are going to be over with quickly, otherwise she'll have to walk through eggshells around the big boss of that group and his son whom he probably doesn't know that's been sneaking out to the theater just like her.

Her phone buzzes in her pocket, it seems that Meena is still waiting for her somewhere near the area. She taps Brian on the back, "Dad, I need to go. I'll just show up at school and just excuse myself when you need me."

"Fine. Aeon will pick you up later." As soon as he says that, the guy shows himself beside her with a gleeful appearance. "In fact, why don't you escort her now to her school? It's better to preserve some gas for todays score."

"No worries, Sir Brian. She'll won't be late nor harmed on the way," the boy cooly salutes before leading her out there by the waist.

'I really don't have a say in any of this, don't I?' Crystal grumbles to herself, pushing his hand away once they're completely out of sight.

"So, you're actually heading on to the theater, right?"

Her head snapped to his direction, incredulous of his knack for assessment for the first time they're alone together, "How'd you know that?"

"Wild guess? And maybe because you always arrive from the direction of the theater instead of your high school."

Her brow raised in suspicion, "Were you.... observing me?"

He sighs in utter relief, "I thought you were gonna straight out say I'm stalking you."

"No.... It's the same.... Just much more formal," she deadpans.

Aeon clears his throat and starts the car, "Right. Theater then."

"Wait!" she knocks on the steering wheel by a finger, "I need to pick up a friend."

Of all times he'd been to and from her favorite locations to visit, this one is an easy guess. He'd seen her elephant friend before, and seemed to be the only friend that Crystal would ever consider. "Roger that one, babe."

"...Don't call me that," the girl mumbles annoyingly.

Rehearsals were nothing more than just keeping to one-selves and trying to master their performances. Same thing goes for Crystal who had then decided to take this a bit more seriously. Picking the right song would be the start, and among all on the list, only one would suit her best. It's not as lengthy and difficult in a high note.

The song kept playing on record in her phone that she didn't even notice Johnny knocking on the door. Even if she did, Crystal would've chose to ignore it. He's the reason why she's in this undesirable mess anyway.

"Now listen up, tomorrow we're going to have a full preview of the show. And our audience will be none other than Miss Nana Noodleman," said Mr. Moon as soon as he lines up everyone after coming to the conclusion from his meet with the retired theater actress yesterday.

"Nana Noodleman? She's still alive?" Mike says in sincere amazement. Crystal wanted nothing more than to squish this tiny fella, but doing that in front of this crowd wouldn't be the best option.

"Oh yes, and believe me, she's got some pretty high standards. So today, we're going to have a full dress rehearsal. And I wanna see you light up the stage, folks!" said Mr. Moon.

'This is a drag,' Crystal looked at the watch. No one really told her when she needs to go back, or if it's even near afternoon. If it all comes clashing in between these sudden schedules, she would have no choice but to choose between this competition and her dad. The former being the most better option in her mind.

"Crystal," Johnny stops in front of her.

The girl sighs, hand resting on her waist, "Now what?"

"Are you free later?"

"Why?"

He scratches the back of his head, feeling like his reason sounded like he has ulterior motives, which is kind of true too in all honesty, "I was.... Well I was thinking maybe you could help me with the piano. You're a real pro at it—and I know it's not at all beneficial for you— but I think I might be able to get a hang of it if you teach me. Y-You can turn me down if you're busy— Wait, hold on, are you gonna be busy practicing for competition later? I heard that you're gonna be singing some pretty high songs. Remember when we used to teach each other with our talents and such?"

Crystal shakes her head, completely drained from her rising anxiety and his awfully joyful attempt to get to her good side again, "You better just be minding about what might happen later. I know you must be thrilled to be in this competition but I'm not, okay? And yeah, I'll be pretty busy about my own thing later, so I really can't help you with that."

His smile fades, but still understood where she's coming from. The girl had just received her own part to do for the show yesterday after all. "A-Alright. I guess Miss Crawley isn't too bad at teaching me piano anyway. I should probably listen more to her instructions."

"Yeah, yeah, absolutely," she dodged beside him to get through the narrow hallway.

Johnny felt disappointed to his another attempt to gain her attention, but needless to say, he will never give up.

Just as things can't get any worse, Crystal was stopped by Mr. Moon, "Crystal, there you are. Have you chosen what song you'd like to play?"

"Well I— Apparently yeah, but I gotta say, all those songs on the list are a bit...too high for me, aren't they?"

"One time of listening to your voice and I knew you're perfect for those kinds of tunes. Come, let's go pick a costume for you."

"C-Costume?" her heart flutters at the thought. Connecting her song choice and what she'll wear, she can instantly see herself in a gown. And she had never worn gowns before, so Crystal got just a bit excited to do this.

"We need something that'll help you sway the mood. How's this?" he holds up a red sequin tassel dress which ended at the knees.

Her hopeful smile faltered at the sight, "A dress?"

"What? It's lovely!"

"Ok, sure, but—"

"Great! You'll wear this at the for tomorrow then. Today will just be a prep so make sure you rest well afterwards, yeah? Go on now, back to your station," Mr. Moon was quick to leave just as he strikes a conversation. He really is a busy man.

Crystal's phone rings in her pocket. "Yes?"

"Oh, there you are," the response wasn't coming from the device but on the exit door of the building. Aeon rushes towards her while hiding his phone away, "I was afraid this building would be hard to enter considering the competition. It's surprisingly quiet in here—"

"Is it time already?" she didn't think it would actually clash schedules, it turns out her mind jinxes even without her mouth telling it.

"Yup. We better hurry back."