Chapter 29: Sing

Her hands hovered over the keyboards, trying to clear her mind as soon as possible. It was all too sudden, she didn't know what to perform. Everyone looked at her in anticipation, and it sent unbelievable chills up her spine. But surprisingly... it wasn't that terrifying at all. 'The first keys I land to will be the ones I'll use...' it's a gamble from this point on. She knows many songs she could cover in an instant, but it had to be something she could connect with.

"Mmh... mhm..." Crystal nodded, recognizing the lyrics at the back of her head. She continued with the tune, unknowingly watched by a pair of eyes that she has now gained the attention. "I stare at my reflection in the mirror. Why am I doing this to myself?"

"I'm breaking up with you"

"Are you joking?"

"I'm not.... I just found someone better... is all."

"Losing my mind on a tiny error. I nearly left the real me on the shelf... No no no no no no no!"

Johnny looked down to the ground, gripping his earphones with his fist, "It's for the best. You... deserve better."

"Don't lose who you are in the blur of the stars. Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing. It's okay not to be okay. Sometimes it's hard to follow your heart. Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising. Just be true to who you are... who you are... who you are..."

"I'm your father. I'm the only one you have now and the only one who will shelter you and feed you."

"Who you are... who you are..."

"Our work is dangerous. You could get to prison, or worse. Do everything I say only if I say so, understood?"

".... Yes."

"Who you are... who you are..."

"You'd rather be with a criminal than your own mother?! You haven't even met him and you're still choosing him?!"

"Who you are... who you are..."

"Yes! Anywhere is better than to be here!... Than to be with you!"

"Brushing my hair, do I look perfect?"

"Smile for the magazine, darling. Smile!"

"I forgot what to do to fit the mold."

"This is ridiculous! My son had good form, it was your daughter who screwed up the steps!"

Crystal looked between her Mom and her dance partner's mother.

"My daughter practiced day and night for this, just you watch, she's stepping in that show in solo and she's going to have you all beat with her own talent!" Cassandra scoffs, "She's the daughter of the Quinn after all."

"The more I try the less is working, 'cause everything inside me screams... no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no! Don't lose who you are in the blur of the stars. Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing. It's okay not to be okay. Sometimes it's hard—"

"Crystal, you will be the next Quinn. Reach far higher than your beautiful dazzling mother dear."

"To follow your heart—"

"Why aren't you doing this right?! I've spent everything on you, the best tutors, the best workshops!"

"But tears don't mean you're losing. Everybody's bruising, there's nothing wrong with who you are. Yes, no's, egos, fake shows. Like "whoa", just go, and leave me alone."

Brian steps out of the van, looking at the little red-shanked douc with a brow raised, "Who's this?"

"It's your daughter," she sighs, "She wants you to take her with you."

"Real talk, real life, good love, goodnight
With a smile, 'cause that's my home...."

"My name's Johnny."

The girl stared at it hesitatingly before taking a few steps forward to take it, "Crystal.

"That's my home.."

She had everything, and yet nothing. That's right... it was Johnny who brought that light out of her. He was the spark she needed the most, a glimpse of a feeling she wanted to have, to learn to love her life, and others... and herself.

"No ooh."

Their eyes met, and Crystal was relieved to not see any anger within those eyes. He was glad to see her back, just as she was happy to be accepted that a tear slipped down her cheek. She continued the song, pouring the last bit of emotions out of the last part of the chorus, "No no no no no no no no! Don't lose who you are in the blur of the stars. Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing. It's okay not to be okay. Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart. Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising. Just be true to who you are.."

Brian wiped a tear away from his eyes, disregarding the hole behind him made by Marcus and the guards who had came in afterwards. While the prisoners are all cheering for him to go back to his son, this old gorilla was content enough just to see his daughter on television. "She's just like her mother, both in looks and in talent."

"Just be true to who you are..."

It was a standing ovation yet again! Crystal had heard the applause one too many times, but it hits differently when it was for her, and it felt absolutely incredible that her heart might burst out if her chest.

"That was," Moon wipes his tears with a handkerchief before continuing, "That was amazing, Crystal, these waterworks aren't lying here. Ladies and gentlemen, let's give her another round of applause for the wonderful performance."

She bows her head and walks towards the backstage, she stopped midway though and thought about pushing the piano out of the stage. The sheep, Eddie was what she learned his name was earlier, helped her with it.

After everything was settled, Crystal planned to join the others, but behind the velvet curtains in front of the dressing room, Johnny found his own feet stuck to the floorboards as he saw her coming his way, which in turn had the same effect on the other. They met at the middle, both trying not to smile like a lovesick idiot.

"Hey," he says.

She giggles, punching him lightly on the chest, "Hey to you too."

==============================

This was supposed to be the last chapter years ago, but of course I can't let it end here now can I?😂