The Dark House

London, 1878

The toxic curtain that enveloped London had tightened around Tessa on that fateful day. Her manager had yelled at her that day for propping up her book on the loom and reading while working at the factory. It was the only way she could even attempt to endure the soul-crushing monotony that was her every day since her dear Aunt Harriet passed away. She felt as if her head would burst open, as though her tongue was too large for her mouth. Ever since she was a young girl Tessa had wished to shed her skin and live a life more fulfilling and exciting life like the ones she had read about in her books. But that had always been a hope; just a childish dream that would never come true.

It was a dream until that auspicious letter from her brother Nate. He had invited her to come live with him, saying that there were special opportunities in store for her. Tessa had almost instantaneously sent Nate her letter of fervent enthusiasm in the idea, and eagerly awaited the day she would finally leave this wretched place. Today was the day. Tessa's heart rose in anticipation, and for the first time in possible years, Tessa felt hopeful. She was restless, too. Nate had promised Tessa an escort would take her to his home. They were impossibly late.

After what felt like hours of waiting, a coach came down the street and came to a stop in front of her. Two women stepped out of the coach, one tall and thin, the other short and plump. They both had pale, almost colorless hair and wore unusually bright clothes along with gloves. The shorter one of the two walked up to Tessa, spoke.

"I am Mrs. Black and this is my sister, Mrs. Dark,"

"Good morning Mrs. Black, Mrs. Dark. I am Theresa Gray. How do you do?" Tessa replied with a courteous bow.

Mrs. Black, ignoring the formality, continued. "We have been sent to collect you by Mr. Nathaniel Gray. Shall we leave?"

"Yes, please! Right away!"

The sister's coachman let her into the vehicle, and as she entered Tessa noted his strange bulging eyes. They were quite unsettling, giving him the image of a frog more than that of a man. However, Tessa brushed the thought aside. Today she would be reunited with her brother, and all of her worries would disappear.

After an uncomfortable ride, the coach stopped in front of a dubious looking building. It was falling apart at the seams and dulled, rotting away.

"Mrs. Black, Mrs. Dark is this truly where my brother lives?" Tessa asked. The two women gave her no reply. They simply stared ahead with these blank looks, eyes protruding out of their sockets.

A slow, creaking sound came from behind the carriage.

"Mrs. Black, Mrs. Dark, did you hear that?" No response.

The sound came ever closer.

"Mrs. Black, Mrs. Dark, what is going on?" Still nothing.

The carriage shook violently, hurling Tessa to the other side. Her two companions, however, remained indifferent, not shuffling an inch. The metal of the carriage was screaming, being ripped apart by some unknown force. Tessa desperately tugged at the door, but to no avail, so she stood up and kicked the door. After a few hits, it seemed it buckle. The ripping metal was screeching in agony. Tessa reared back for the final blow that would free -

A vice like grip took hold of her shoulder and dragged her out of the carriage. Her head smacked onto the ground and warm blood trickled down her forehead, smearing the asphalt ground. The two other women casually exited the dilapidated carriage and followed behind.

"What is happening? Where is my brother?" Tessa demanded, her voice going shrill. She gathered up asphalt in her hands and threw it at the coachman's eyes in attempt to blind him, but to no affect. Undeterred, she reared up her leg to kick him. Her foot struck his abdomen, and a jolt of pain was sent up her leg. What was this man made of, metal? In any case, Tessa was helplessly dragged into the house and locked inside a study with the Dark Sisters.