The Scarred One

(Author's note: This chapter gets a bit intense. There's mention of Sophie's old employers, and how she was assaulted. It's not anything worse than what was in the books, but if you're sensitive to stuff like that, beware.)

Despite Will's constantly denunciation of the brothers, Sophie considered Gabriel and Gideon Lightwood to be rather good-looking. Perhaps not Gabriel exactly - though he was tall and slender, which only served to emphasize his height, with watchful, green eyes, and tousled brown eyes - his constant scowl put Sophie off. Gideon was the more handsome one out of the two. Muscular, a man with full, sandy-blond hair and grey-green eyes. She had to keep herself from sighing as he and his brother came up the staircase.

Sophia felt conscious of herself in shadowhunter gear - man's clothes. The space around her legs was oddly free, and she thought she could span the entirety of London's skyline now that she wasn't weighed down by her corset and skirts. At least Sophie could fit into the sizes provided for women; Agatha was forced to wear the same size of gear and Thomas, who was considerably brawny as mundanes went. She saw Gabriel grin slightly when he saw Agatha, and without him having to say a word, Sophie felt her resentment toward him grow. Sophie hoped that since Will hated him so much, he might turn out to be a respectable gentleman, but unfortunately not.

Gideon smiled at the three of them and said, rather brightly, that he was delighted to see them and that they must go to the training room to begin the day's lessons. The training room was not one servants frequented, so when they finally entered it, Sophie felt somewhat the same as a child observing her first snow. It was a room longer than it was wide, with mirrors along one side and weapons in shapes and sizes Sophie had never considered along another. Gideon and Gabriel led their students to the center of the room and handed them thin, flat blades they called 'throwing knives'. As Gideon demonstrated the proper way to grip a throwing knife, a woman burst into the room.

This woman was definitely a shadowhunter, she was dressed gear and there were visible marks upon her skin, yet she was the most peculiar Nephilim Sophie had ever seen. She had high, sharp cheekbones and a small, pointed nose, like a fae. Her gear was adorned by patterns and beads, like child's doodling when they grew tired of arithmetic.

"It's good to see that you're late as always," Gabriel said, "Downworlders can change their shapes, mundanes can best Nephilim, but Margaret Keeley will never fail to be late."

"Be quiet, Gabe," Gideon snapped, "and do at least make an effort to be on time, Ms. Keeley."

"Oh I do sincerely apologize, Mr. and Mr. Lightwood," Ms. Keeley said, almost sounding sincere, "I had my hands full dealing with unrest in the Downworld before this task was added to my plate."

"If you wish, I can have it arranged so someone else takes on this responsibility," Gideon suggested.

"No, no, no," Ms. Keeley waved aside the thought, "What gave you the idea that I dislike having my hands beyond capacity? Let's get on with the lesson already."

The three Nephilim and mundanes paired off for one-on-one instruction: Ms. Keeley went with Thomas, Gabriel with Agatha, and Gideon with Sophie. Sophie felt a twinge of pity for Agatha, sour Gabriel Lightwood couldn't be a good or patient tutor, but they seemed to be doing well enough. She couldn't tell if Ms. Keeley was actually teaching Thomas anything or just putting the knife in his hands and laughing hysterically every time he missed, which couldn't be good for his confidence. It appeared to be in good humor, however, so Sophie pushed it to the back of her mind.

Gideon modeled to Sophie how she was meant to grip the knife, how to arc her arms when she threw it, and the position her body should be in after the throw. Sophie tried her best to follow the instructions and threw the knife with as much strength as she could muster. The blade landed no where near the target, instead digging into the stone of the Institute three feet to the left of it.