The Price of Blood

Alexi de Quincey's home was a massive estate. Everything there, from even the doors to the walls had been expertly crafted to be larger than life. There wasn't much beauty to it, just a lot of excess. It was the home of a man who wanted to flaunt his wealth and status.

The ballroom was illuminated by a series of several gas-lit chandeliers, ensuring that every crack in the room was bathed in light. Yellow wallpaper covered the walls, looking so golden that it reminded Tessa of decay. Near the back of the ballroom was an elevated stage with a few rows
of chairs in front of it where an ensemble was playing music.

Milling around the room was what Tessa thought of as the entirety of London's Downworlder population. There were men and women who looked at the world through mismatched eyes and skin tinged with color. A man with horns poking out of his hair spoke gesticulating to another man out of who's back the wings of an angel sprouted. Several other pale skin individuals stalked about, accepting drinks from servants that Tessa knew from their smell and consistency were blood - mundane blood.

"Camille!" a man with bloodshot blue eyes and skin so pale it was green barked at Tessa, "How wonderful to see you here!"

Tessa smiled at him. "The pleasure is mine, Markus."

'Markus' looked to Mr. Herondale with amazement. "A Nephilim as your human subjugate? The Clave will be scandalized!"

"I suppose they will, won't they?" Tessa replied, nonplussed.

"Say, Camille, could I have a bite of him? I've always wondered what shadowhunter blood tastes like."

"Oh well..." Tessa fought to keep her nerves under control, while next to her Mr. Herondale seemed perfectly fine, "I've just turned him, you see. I'm not sure if-"

"Oh, come along, Camille. Don't be so greedy," a predatory glint came into his eyes, "Share."

Knowing that continuing to deny Markus would seem suspicious, Tessa caved in.

"Alright," she said, "you may have a little of his blood."

Before either of them could react, Markus grabbed Mr. Herondale's arm, pulled back the sleeves, and sank his teeth into the flesh. Mr. Herondale could not disguise the gasp of pain that escaped his throat. Markus looked concerned.

"He is your subjugate, is he not? Why is my drinking of his blood causing him pain?"

"Well its as I told you, Markus," Tessa said quickly, "I've just recently turned him, so he might  not-"

"Well then remedy that, why don't you? Give him a bit of your blood."

"I-" Tessa stole a glance at Mr. Herondale face to see how he felt. Mr. Herondale covertly gave her a reassuring look, "Of course."

Using her fangs, Tessa tore a hole into her skin and the blackened blood of the vampires dripped down. She lifted her arm up over Mr. Herondale's open mouth so that a few drops fell in before the wound healed itself.

"Well, there we are. All better," said Markus.

"I thank you for your help, old friend," Tessa said before walking away at a pace she hoped seemed natural. When they were sure that nobody would notice, the pair ducked away into a room.

"Mr. Herondale, are you alright?" Tessa whispered.

"Call me Will while we're here," Mr. Herondale said, "And yes, I'm fine. The damaging effects of vampire blood shouldn't appear for another while."

"Thank the Lord," Tessa murmured, "I'm so sorry, Mr. He- Will."

"Oh I know how terribly devastated yourself and everyone else back at the Institute would be by my death, Ms. Gray. But, right now, we have more pressing matters to attend to."