The London Institute

Mr. Carstairs open the large doors of the Institute for Tessa, explaining that they could only be opened by someone possessing shadowhunter blood. Tessa ambled into the institute, admiring the opulence of the place.

The institute's ceiling stretched out impossibly high, touching the heavens themselves. The building had been built in the gothic style, with immense detailing in every nook and cranny. Tessa could picture the artist slaving away, carving the delicate lines of the institute, making sure every wall was a painting worthy of a masterpiece. A large stained glass window was settled at the top of the grand staircase. It depicted an angel rising out of a lake brandishing an elegant sword and a chalice. Everything about the London Institute was so grand; it was like a palace. Tessa found herself wishing she could have lived there forever. Mr. Carstairs offered to show her around the institute and Tessa, wishing to see more of this magnificent place, she gladly accepted his offer.

He showed her first to the kitchen where she met the cook, Agatha, who was a large woman with dark hair. "What are you looking at?" Agatha had barked at her.

"Nothing! Nothing at all!" Tessa hurriedly apologized.

Afterward, Mr. Carstairs introduced to her Thomas Tanner the Institute's caretaker and the driver, whom Tessa recognized. "You were one of the men that Mr. Herondale called for at the Dark House, weren't you?" She looked him over once more. He was definitely tall and muscular enough to be called one of the Nephilim, though why he was a servant while Mr. Carstairs and Mr. Herondale were wards of the Institute confused her.

"I am indeed one of the two men Will called for at the Dark House, however, I am not a one of the Nephilim. I come from a family of mundanes with the sight and trained alongside shadowhunters since I was twelve. " Tessa nodded.

Mr. Carstairs then showed her the enormous library, filled up to the brim with books of all shapes and sizes. Tessa pranced into the room and eyed the shelves with excitement much like that of a child in a candy shop. "I take it that you enjoy reading?" Mr. Carstairs asked with a small smile.

"Enjoy reading?! Enjoy could never even begin to describe it. I live for reading!" Tessa gushed, scanning the shelves. She could see books on demonology, along with some of her favorites, like Pride and Prejudice.

"If you enjoy reading so very much, I suggest reading this," Mr. Carstairs held up a thick book titled The Shadowhunter's Codex " I cannot promise it to be a great read, but you may wish to familiarize yourself with the things in it."

Tessa thanked Mr. Carstairs for giving her the book and was reading it as Mr. Carstairs lead her back to her room. She was so engrossed in the text that she didn't notice the lady's maid before she knocked right into her. The maid looked up at her with the most terrified of looks.

"Pardon me miss, I should have been more careful," her soft voice had a wavering quality to it. The maid herself was very dainty. She seemed to be of very good breeding, with hair that was a ravishing darker brunette and her eyes luminous dark hazels. Her good looks were spoilt by a grotesque scar that ran all the way from the left corner of her mouth to her temple, distorting her features. Tessa trembled to think of what sort of terrible place such a small little thing such as herself would get a scar like that.

"Nevermind it; I wasn't paying attention either," Tessa reassured the poor girl. She could not bring herself to utter a single cruel word to her.

"How could I forget? Ms. Gray this is Sophia Collins, our parlor maid. She will serve as your Lady's Maid while you are staying here." As he spoke, Mr. Carstairs momentarily lost his footing and had to lean against his dragon-headed and jade-topped cane. Sophia grew very alert.