The Gentleman

Broom in hand, Sophie swept brambles and foliage away from the walkway. Ahead of her, Thomas had brought the horses up front to feed as he picked muck out of their shoes. There was a slight chill in the morning, but it was nothing Sophie couldn't handle. The grime in the air caught in her throat and made her cough, but otherwise, she was absolutely fine. Will and Jem were nowhere to be found during breakfast, but that, too, was expected. Nothing was out of the ordinary that ordinary morning.

A horse-drawn carriage came to a stop before the Institute's gates. Thomas left his horses to let the carriage in. Sophie lifted her head up to see the new arrivals. The coach was exquisite - full, velvety curtains drawn across the windows, intricate, swirling patterns on the carriage, well-groomed, muscular horses - in a way that only served to let any onlookers know that it's owner was wealthy. It paused once again in front of the Institute's doors, and Gideon Lightwood stepped out of it.

Lessons weren't to begin until after lunch, but perhaps he had some other business to discuss with Charlotte. His brother definitely did yesterday. Sophie waited for him to come out after Gideon, but he never did. Why on Earth had he come to the Institute alone? He was holding a bunch of flowers, too, the kind you offered to apologize. Gideon placed a hand on the door's handle and was about to enter when his eyes wafted across the grounds and snapped to Sophie. He removed his hand from the doors and walked to where Sophie stood.

Sophie dropped her broom. She considered leaving and pretending she hadn't noticed him, but he had already seen her seeing him, so it would be the height of rudeness. Charlotte only allowed Sophie to speak to the Institute's wards in whichever tone she thought appropriate, not the world at large. But would it count if she didn't speak to him at all? Of course, it would count! Why did she insist on kidding herself? He would go to Charlotte the instant after she fled and complain about her behaviour, and Charlotte would have to make excuses for her idiot maid's actions. It would be best if she remained where she was and heard whatever he wanted to say. Anything else he wished to do to her he couldn't do out in the open, not while Thomas watched the two of them.

"Ms. Collins, I would like to apologize," he held the flowers out for her to take - they were for her. Sophie in all her life couldn't fathom an esteemed gentleman such as himself buying flowers for a lady's maid. It seemed terribly improper for her to accept them, but it would be much ruder for her to reject them since he had taken the time to go to a florist and request flowers for her.

She thanked him and gingerly took the flowers from him, trying to ensure that she never touched him. Despite her efforts, their fingertips brushed together. Sophie's heart rate spiked, an apology forming on the top of her tongue. When she looked up, she expected Gideon to look disgusted, but his expression remained unmoved.

"Whatever could you be apologizing for?" Sophie asked. Soft petals tickled the exposed skin of her hands, and their warm fragrance filled her lungs. She puzzled in her mind what to do with them - she couldn't leave them as is, they would wilt. It would be incredibly heartless of her to let these flowers die too easily, but would it be presumptuous of her to put them in a vase? If he was ever to see them, months on, he would think she was obsessed with him. Women like Jessamine probably had a system for dealing with flowers given to them, but Sophie couldn't remember the last time someone gave her flowers - even as an apology.

"For yesterday," Gideon's voice sounded choked. He was closely studying Sophie's face, "I am still not certain of what I did, precisely, but it put you in distress and that was never my intention. If you wish to continue with a different instructor, or perhaps learn another weapon, I would be happy to accommodate you."

"There is no problem with you - none at all," Sophie spoke quickly, "The only problem is with me, I assure you."

"Alright, then. Tell me it."

"You see, Mr. Lightwood," Sophie bite her lip. What to tell him? She couldn't tell him the truth, he would be horribly offended to learn that Sophie associated his touch with that of the man who took a knife to her face. He wouldn't understand that was how she reacted to any kind of touch - be it malicious or benign.

"I was... feeling poorly," Sophie said.

Gideon quirked an eyebrow, "Truly?"

"Yes, truly."

"I take it that you feel better now?"

"I do."

"And nothing like what happened yesterday will happen again?"

Sophie gulped, "Yes."

"Good. Very good." Though he still did not seem convinced, Gideon smiled at her. His grey-green eyes sparkled like the summer sea when he smiled. Sophie couldn't imagine why he didn't do it more often.

Gideon thanked her for speaking with him and headed inside the Institute. Sophie picked her broom up off the ground and took it, along with the flowers, back to her room in the crypts through the entrance around the back. She procured a rusted pot Agatha no longer used, filled it with water, and settled the flowers in it. At first, Sophie placed the flowers at the vanity, then the chest of drawers, finally placing it on her nightstand. It meant that whenever she woke in the morning, Sophie would think of Gideon, but perhaps that wasn't a bad thing.