Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

"Nina, can you hear me?"

I slowly opened my eyes, a woman was standing in front of me holding a small torch in her hand. I felt my mouth open and mutter something before my eyes closed and I drifted off.

I opened my eyes again and blinked rapidly as the strong smell of anti-bacterial cleaner filled my nose. I glanced down and noticed I was laying down on a bed that wasn't mine. The room was bright, light from the window was reflecting off the white walls, making me want to close my eyes again. I heard a beeping noise and turned towards the source of the noise before looking at my hand that had some wires attached to it.

I'm at a hospital?

"How are you feeling?" Gabriel asked quietly, looking worn out.

I groaned quietly and tried to sit up. "What happened?"

"You had a small panic attack." He told me as he got off his chair and helped me sit up.

Panic attack?

I frowned trying to think back before I gasped. "My baby. Gabriel, my baby!"

"The baby is fine, calm down."

I sighed in relief, slumping against the pillow and closing my eyes. My baby is fine, we're okay.

"You scared me." Gabriel muttered making me snap my eyes open. "There's not a lot of things that scare me, but when your little friend called me I was terrified. I thought the baby was gone or wouldn't make it."

I looked at Gabriel as he stared at my covered stomach. He reached out slowly and placed his large hand on my stomach, giving it a light rub.

It was like this for a minute, we were both silent as Gabriel caressed my stomach gently. I thought back to earlier, the reason why I had a panic attack. I wanted to ask him about it, but I don't think now is the right time for it.

I cleared my throat. "Shouldn't we call a nurse or doctor?"

Gabriel removed his hand and leaned back against his chair. "She'll be here soon." He nodded.

I frowned in confusion. "But you didn't call her or press the button."

"She'll be here soon." He repeated. I raised an eyebrow but didn't question him.

"What were you thinking about?"

"What?" I asked as Gabriel leaned closer.

"What were you thinking about? Before you had a mini panic attack."

"You." I answered truthfully watching as he frowned and inched closer.

Before either one of us could say anything a woman holding a clipboard came into the room with a small smile on your face.

"Ah, Nina you are awake."

I stared at the blonde haired woman and frowned. She wasn't my doctor.

"She's not my doctor." I hissed at Gabriel.

"I am Dr. Montgomery." She introduced herself with a polite smile. "Dr. Lane isn't available anymore and Mr Drakos agreed it would be best if I took over."

Did he now? I sent Gabriel a small glare before I focused on Dr. Montgomery. "We just saw Dr. Lane today. How can she be unavailable so quickly?"

"She had a few personal issues and has decided to take a couple of months off." Dr. Montgomery said without hesitation.

I looked at the doctor for a few seconds, something wasn't right. Where's my doctor?

"We've done a few test and it seems like the baby is fine." Dr. Montgomery told us, looking at her clipboard. "I would recommend you be cautious over the next couple of days, don't do anything that might stress you out. I have prescribed some iron tablets for you to take as well as some prenatal vitamin tablets. Do you have any questions?"